Via Pipedream Archive Sophomore attacking midfielder Harrison Weilbacher tallied one goal and one assist in Binghamton’s 2-1 win over Canisius on Friday.

Pascal Trappe, who led the Binghamton men’s soccer team in scoring last year in his final season of NCAA eligibility, was confined to the stands to watch the Bearcats’ (1-0-1) season opener against Canisius. But Harrison Weilbacher, the sophomore who succeeded Trappe as the team’s starting attacking midfielder, ran everywhere on the field.

As a freshman, Weilbacher waited in the wings while Trappe led BU’s offense. Even then, BU head coach Paul Marco saw promise in Weilbacher and started him in 19 of 20 games, in which he contributed a goal and five assists. Marco hoped going into this season that Weilbacher would be able to cover more ground than Trappe, just as he did last Friday in Binghamton’s 2-1 victory over the Golden Griffins (1-0-1).

For the first time in his collegiate career, Weilbacher collected three points in a game. With a goal and an assist, his efforts led to the creation of both the Bearcats’ goals. Weilbacher scored the game winning goal 36 minutes into the second half, a well-struck free kick from just outside the penalty area that left Canisius redshirt junior goalkeeper Marco Trivellato out of position as the ball curved into the upper left corner of the net.

“The ball had a lot of swerve on it,” Weilbacher said. “When the goalie took a step toward it, I thought he had it but it glided over his head.”

Even though he no longer plays for the Bearcats, Trappe’s influence can still be found on the field.

“Pascal [Trappe] and me are pretty close,” Weilbacher said. “He’s always been upfront and really kind to me, and he’s helped me mature. He’s really been a role model to me and I really looked up to him last year. I saw how he played and I tried to model my play after his.”

Early in the first half, Weilbacher passed the ball through two Golden Griffin defenders to sophomore forward Nikos Psarras, who scored his first goal of the season. Then, redshirt freshman goalkeeper Alejandro Cubillo let up the game-tying goal in the 27th minute of his first collegiate game when Canisius junior forward Hakeem Milson emerged from a scrum in front of the net with the ball and fired it to the left of Cubillo and into the net.

Canisius found new life in the final 20 minutes of the game, but Cubillo warded off a pair of scoring chances from close range. Cubillo, who transferred to Binghamton after redshirting last season at UConn took over at goalkeeper from two-time America East Goalkeeper of the Year Robert Moewes. Cubillo and Moewes utilize very different styles in commanding the back line.

“Robert [Moewes] was a lot louder,” said redshirt junior back Charlie Novoth. “But Cubillo is new to the team, he’s really put his foot in and he’s doing great, tonight he played excellently.”

Although BU’s experienced backline includes two seniors, it faltered in the second half when Canisius tallied seven shots and Binghamton collected just four. The Bearcats outshot the Golden Griffins, 13-11, on the game.

“I thought we started the match very well,” Marco said. “The guys came out full of excitement. I thought we played quite well in the first half. The way the guys approached the game with the ball was terrific, we moved the ball quite well in the first half. I thought we got a little tired in the second half. They came back in the game a little bit … and I’m just delighted that we got three points today.”

Cubillo was credited with a clean sheet as Binghamton played to a 0-0 tie against George Washington on Monday.
Binghamton is set to return to the field on Friday against Siena. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. from Siena Turf Field in Loudonville, New York.