The Binghamton University women’s tennis team sunk to under .500 in dual matches this weekend as it fell to Temple University on Sunday by a score of 4-3.

Binghamton is now 2-3 on the season, after having evened its record with a win over Bucknell last Sunday.

To open doubles play against Temple, freshman Jennifer Fridman and junior Jillian Santos quickly jumped ahead of Temple’s Alicia Doms and Yana Mavrina 5-2, but could not hang onto the lead. The pair would go on to drop their first match of the afternoon 8-6.

Binghamton junior Emma Leibowicz and senior Yulia Smirnova would fall in similar fashion, as they lost to Temple’s senior pair of Theresa Stangl and Christine Clerment 8-6. The Owls secured the doubles point with the victory.

BU picked up its lone doubles victory of the day when senior Anna Edelman and junior Marina Bykovskaya took down Lucie Pazderova and Elyse Steiner in a tiebreaker, which ended with a final score of 9-8. Edelman and Bykovskaya are currently ranked seventh in doubles teams in the Northeast region.

Edelman found more success in singles play as she went on to defeat Steiner because of retirement. After dropping the first set 6-3, Edelman swept the second 6-0 and went ahead in the third 1-0 before Steiner retired. Edelman, who is ranked No. 2 in the region, was the only Bearcat on the day to pick up wins in both matches.

Prior to Edelman’s victory, Fridman would drop straight sets to Temple junior Mellana Cramer 6-4, 6-2. Santos, who is ranked No. 20 in the Northeast region, would follow up with a win over Stangl, 6-2, 6-1.

Smirnova dropped a tight match 6-4, 6-3 before Edelman’s win put the Bearcats back within one. Edelman’s doubles partner proved unable to even the score, however. Bykovskaya fell to Doms 6-4, 6-2 and the Owls secured the match.

With a Temple victory already locked in, Leibowicz overcame a 0-1 deficit in fifth singles to knock of Pazderova in the second and third sets by scores of 6-3.

According to a Binghamton University press release, BU head coach Libby McGovern said, “We had a very close match, we fought hard and we know what we need to work on in order to bounce back next weekend.”

BU is scheduled to take on Dartmouth at noon on Saturday.