Photo provided Senior Mike Surdey finished this weekend?s Cornell Invitational tournament in a three-way tie for second place.

Though only by a small margin of three strokes, the Binghamton University golf team pulled out a victory at the Cornell Invitational in Ithaca this weekend. Scoring a 54-hole total of 871 (7 over par), the Bearcats have now won the tournament for three consecutive years.

Binghamton got off on the right foot in the opening round as it shot a team score of 286, 2-under-par. The score is the second-best team round in program history.

In the tournament’s second round later that day, the Bearcats slipped to second place after a round of 293, one stroke behind the leading Columbia University Lions.

But in the tournament’s final day, Binghamton’s top four scores totaled 292 (72, 73, 73, 74), four ahead of the Lions who finished with a team score of 296.

All in all, BU finished the tournament with a score of 871, three ahead of Columbia, who stood at 874.

Individually, senior Mike Surdey, who led the field with 40 pars, and sophomore Paul Andrews each finished runner-up.

Andrews opened the tournament with an opening round of 69 (3-under-par) and continued with scores of 74 and 73 in the following two rounds, respectively. He also completed the tournament with two career-bests as his final score was an even par and as previously mentioned, ended in second place for the first top-10 finish of his career.

Each of the five Binghamton competitors in the event finished in the top-25, as junior David Cellura tied for 10th, sophomore Bryce Edmister tied for 19th and freshman Josh Holling tied for 25th. A total of 75 golfers competed in the tournament.

BU will have some time off before it next sees action, as it is set to take part in the Big 5 Invitational hosted by Temple University in Philadelphia.

Action is will begin on Oct. 8 and continue on Oct. 9.