From the Pipe Dream Archives Senior Jack McKeever carries a 4-3 record into this weekend’s Las Vegas Invitational.

After finishing third in a field of 27 at the New York State Championship last weekend, the Binghamton wrestling team is set to compete at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational this weekend.

“In the first month of the season, we’ve seen a lot of the best guys in the country,” BU head coach Matt Dernlan said. “We’ve made a lot of progress in this first month and we are looking to continue that trend.”

After already having squared off against a pair of top-20 teams this season — including a 19-12 near-upset of No. 14 North Carolina — the Bearcats (4-2, 1-0 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) will match up with 40 elite Division I competitors this weekend. Wrestling powers Minnesota, Iowa State and Oklahoma are among the many competitors ready to challenge the Bearcats in their last team tournament of the season.

“We are going to be facing the best guys in the country,” Dernlan said. “The biggest challenge is going to be how we compete against the big states.”

Although BU has faced its share of hard-hitting opponents this season, the Bearcats are looking to stay composed as they compete over 2,000 miles away from home. A youthful BU squad, which includes 18 freshmen, could potentially find the tournament setting somewhat overwhelming.

Matches will take place in the heart of Sin City, at the Cashman Center before a crowd that is estimated to be in the thousands — but don’t expect any nerves from the Bearcats.

“We train hard every day with the intent of beating the best,” Derlan said. “This is an opportunity to put our training to the test and see how our guys respond.”

Senior 174-pounder Jack McKeever, junior 133-pounder Jacob Nicholson and sophomore 184-pounder Steve Schneider are the top Binghamton wrestlers to watch out for. Veteran McKeever has led his team in the 174-pound class, while newcomer Nicholson finished second in the 133-pound division in last weekend’s tournament.

“This is growing opportunity for our young team,” Dernlan said. “[My] team isn’t unfamiliar with the competition. We’ve prepared them for it.”

The first match of the Cliff Keen Invitational is set to begin on Friday at noon eastern time from the Cashman Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.