The Binghamton volleyball team concluded its 2015 season this past Friday night after falling, 3-1, to reigning America East Champion UNH in the first round of the conference tournament.

An impressive offensive effort by UNH (21-8, 11-1 AE) gave the Wildcats leverage over BU (9-19, 6-6 AE) early on in the match. The Wildcats, who entered the semifinal as the tournament’s top seed, held true to their regular-season success by taking the first two games.

Come the third set, the Bearcats found themselves desperately searching for a way to keep their hopes of advancing alive. Sophomore middle hitter Kristella Morina and freshman outside hitter Erin Schultz stepped up, recording kills early in the set. With both squads tied at 15, junior defensive specialist Kasey Muchnicki delivered an ace to give BU the upper hand. After a pair of critical errors for UNH put Binghamton in a comfortable position, freshman outside hitter Gabby Alicea recorded three kills and an ace to lift her team to a set victory and force a fourth set.

The Bearcats fell behind early in the fourth set, but sophomore setter Sarah Ngo kept the Bearcats alive with three assists to Morina to help put BU ahead, 12-9. After a UNH run to retake the lead, a string of kills by Alicea and Schultz knotted the score at 21. UNH, however, took control and scored on four of the following five plays, securing a match victory, 3-1, putting an end to the Bearcat’s season.

Regardless of the result, Binghamton Head Coach Glenn Kiriyama was pleased with his team’s performance in their season finale

“It was a well fought match,” Kiriyama said. “I thought the girls played one of their best matches of the year.”

Ngo recorded her 13th double-double of the season with 41 assists and 24 digs while Alicea racked up a career high 21 points. Following the regular season, the duo was chosen to the America East All-Conference Second Team. Alicea was also named to the AE All-Rookie Team.

This was BU’s ninth postseason appearance in the past 11 years.

Overall, Kiriyama believes this season was a learning experience for his team. His focus now turns to the future.

“They worked hard and continued to learn through the year” he said. “I hope this experience pays dividends in the future.”