Emily Earl/Assistant Photography Editor BU head coach Linda Cimino is entering her second season at the helm of the Bearcats.

In mid-January of last season, the Binghamton women’s basketball team was blown out by Maine, 70-48. In mid-February, the Black Bears bested BU once again, 70-56. In early March, the Bearcats hosted top-seeded Maine in the first round of the America East Tournament, once again dropping the game, this time by just seven, 78-71.

While being ousted in the first round of the conference tournament was not the most favorable outcome for the Bearcats, the upward trajectory of their performance against the league’s regular-season champion speaks to the improvements of the squad. BU hopes to build on those strides this season.

“We want to build on the wins from last year, that’s a goal,” Binghamton head coach Linda Cimino said. “We want to compete. We still have the same goals, which are to continue to improve and get better, learn the system and change the culture of the program.”

In her first year at the helm of the program, Cimino led the Bearcats to four victories and 26 losses. Binghamton won just two conference games and ranked last in the America East in points per game (58.3), points allowed (71.4 per contest), field goal percentage defense (43.3 percent) and second-to-last in field goal percentage, connecting on just 36.8 percent of its shots from the floor.

Despite Binghamton’s dismal statistics, the Bearcats were kept afloat by the impressive performances of freshmen guards Jasmine Sina and Imani Watkins. At the end of the regular season, Sina was named the America East Rookie of the Year and both were named to the conference’s all-rookie squad. On a team that dressed as few as eight players last season, Sina and Watkins were mainstays on the floor, averaging 39.1 and 36.6 minutes per game, respectively. The potent backcourt duo led Binghamton in points per game as Sina averaged 14.8 per contest while Watkins added 13.5. Sina was also prolific from beyond the arc, landing 35.6 percent of her 3-point attempts, second in the AE.

But, Binghamton took a blow when Sina tore her right ACL during a preseason training session and underwent season-ending surgery in late September. The absence of Sina will weigh heavily on the Bearcats, who had planned to run a four-guard lineup this season with Sina leading the charge. Although she won’t play for BU this year, Sina has transitioned into what Cimino believes will be a productive court-side role.

“[Sina] is an unbelievable leader,” Cimino said. “I’ve asked her to help me make our lineup this year. She’s going to be an integral part of our coaching staff just so that she’s part of the program and she feels that connection.”

Left to lead the youthful Binghamton roster, which consists of just three returning upperclassmen, is Watkins.

“Imani’s playing a significant role as a leader this year,” Cimino said. “She’s been tremendous and she’s starting to learn the point position, so we’ve kind of moved her from the two to the point.”

Strengthening Binghamton’s backcourt will be guard Kim Albrecht, the lone senior on this season’s team. In 2015, Albrecht had a breakout year for the Bearcats, starting 27 games, averaging 11.6 points per contest and leading the America East in free throw percentage, landing 87.3 percent of shots taken from the free throw line.

“Kim [Albrecht] has really stepped up this year,” Cimino said. “Her confidence level is really high right now. She’s shooting the ball very, very well. We’re trying to get her to score in multiple ways.”

Binghamton’s frontcourt will be led by sophomore forward Alyssa James, who sat out last season after transferring from Caldwell College, where she played under Cimino. In 2013-2014, James led the Division II Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference with 2.7 blocks per game and was third in rebounds, snagging 9.7 boards per contest.

“Alyssa James has been a remarkable presence inside,” Cimino said. “We really struggled on the offensive boards last year — in terms of giving up too many — and I really think just her presence inside is going to change our defense.”

The Bearcats will once again depend on freshmen to round out their lineup. Just like Sina and Watkins before them, freshmen guards Rebecca Carmody and McKayla Hernandez will see plenty of playing time because of Sina’s absence.

“I’m thrilled with Rebecca Carmody’s progress so far,” Cimino said. “She’s so versatile and athletic. She can play one through four positions for us and I really think she’s going to make an immediate impact.”

BU is scheduled to kick off its season with its first-ever matchup against Michigan on Saturday. Tip-off is set for noon from the Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan.