It’s hard to deny the popularity of fantasy football. With more participants than every other fantasy sport combined, fantasy football has become mainstream among sports fans. Its ability to emulate the competitive spirit of football makes it alluring to anyone who enjoys suspense, excitement and, of course, football.

I’ve watched as football players this year have both exceeded expectations and failed miserably at meeting their projected standings. Of these players, I’ve chosen six to discuss: three who have flopped and three who have shined.

Fantasy Busts:

1. Sam Bradford

After a 4-0 preseason this year, the St. Louis Rams looked like they were off to a magnificent start. Nine games and seven losses later, we see why the preseason can be so deceptive. Sam Bradford has been playing absolutely horrendous football. So far, he’s totaled 1,587 passing yards with just four touchdowns. And it only gets worse. Bradford’s had four interceptions and four lost fumbles, and has a passer rating of 72.6 out of the maximum of 158.3. Bradford’s also missed two games due to ankle injury, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that he’s only cracked 15 fantasy points once this year. Bradford is currently ranked 234th in fantasy value, according to Yahoo! Sports. For someone whose projected value was 91st, he deserves to be labeled as a fantasy bust.

2. Chad Ochocinco

I had high hopes for Ochocinco this year. After being traded to the New England Patriots, it was assumed by both fantasy experts and fans alike that Tom Brady’s skills would allow Ochocinco to have a breakout season. As such, he had a projected ranking of 66th in the league.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. As of right now, Ochocinco has 11 catches on the year, totaling 201 yards. In three straight games, he had zero catches for zero yards. He’s had no more than two catches in a single game, and in his most fruitful game, he produced just 65 yards. With zero touchdowns on the year, Ochocinco is ranked 2,306th in the league in fantasy value, and has rightfully earned his spot as a fantasy bust.

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson was the No. 1 running back in 2009 and No. 5 in 2010. Most had high hopes for him again this year. However, Johnson chose to skip all of Tennessee Titans training camp this year as a sign of protest during his contract negotiations, and many experts warned that his value might dip as a result.

Well, as of right now, Johnson is ranked 23rd in the league at running back, and 63rd out of all players in fantasy value. Up until this Sunday, Johnson was averaging around eight fantasy points and 46 yards per game. For a player who averaged 14 fantasy points a game last year, and 85 yards per game, this is pitiful. Sunday’s game against Carolina was the first game this season where Johnson looked like his old self. He was drafted in the first round of nearly every fantasy draft. If he doesn’t start producing soon, he’ll be by far the biggest running back bust of the year.

Fantasy Booms:

1. Cam Newton

Newton was projected at 205th in most fantasy formats. Right now, he’s the third-highest-scoring fantasy quarterback, behind only Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. The rookie from Auburn is averaging an incredible 289 passing yards per game. Not only that, but Newton is rushing for an average 41 yards per game, and has already recorded seven rushing touchdowns. Newton has continuously put up impressive fantasy stats; his lowest outing so far has been a 14.1 fantasy point game. With an average of around 27 fantasy points a game, Newton is one of the most dynamic players any fantasy coach can own.

2. Wes Welker

Coming off his worst season since 2006, Wes Welker wasn’t expected to have a stellar year. Many argued that the receiver was past his prime, and wasn’t worth a high draft value. Well, nothing could be farther from the truth. Welker currently leads the league in receiving yards with 1,006, and is tied for third in the league with six touchdowns. He is currently ranked No. 12 in fantasy value, and stands only behind Calvin Johnson among the league’s receivers. With such a huge turnaround after last year’s disappointing season, Welker is an invaluable asset to any fantasy team.

3. Fred Jackson

Fred Jackson has been the most undervalued draft pick of the year. Before the season started, Jackson’s projected value was 74th in the league. This was partly because the Buffalo Bills’ offense was expected to be subpar, due in part to C.J. Spiller’s undefined role in the running game.

Well, the Bills and Jackson surprised everyone. The Bills are currently sitting on a 5-4 record, while Jackson is currently the seventh most valuable fantasy player in the league. He’s the third-ranked fantasy running back, only a few points behind LeSean McCoy and Arian Foster. Jackson is currently averaging roughly 146 all-purpose yards per game, with 44 of those yards coming from receptions. With these stats, it’s not shocking to find that Jackson is averaging about 18 fantasy points per game. He is on track to have the best season of his career. If he keeps up this consistency, Jackson will undoubtedly be the fantasy sleeper pick of the year.