Photo Provided by BU Athletics The Binghamton men’s soccer team came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Stony Brook, 3-2, and secure a spot in the America East semifinals.

Faced with the harsh reality of elimination late in Saturday’s first-round playoff matchup at Stony Brook, the Binghamton men’s soccer team delivered a storybook finish.

Down 2-0 with just over 13 minutes left in the contest, the Bearcats (9-7-2, 3-3-1 America East) scored twice before the end of regulation to send the conference quarterfinal match into overtime before graduate midfielder Pascal Trappe netted the game-winner 5:02 into the second overtime period.

The 3-2 victory clinched Binghamton a berth in the America East conference semifinals for the second year in a row. The 2-0 deficit represents the largest comeback BU has surmounted to secure a postseason victory during its 15 years as a Division I team.

“I’m so proud of the way we played and came back tonight,” Binghamton head coach Paul Marco said. “Especially in the second half, I thought we played well but had nothing to show for it until the final 15 minutes.”

For much of the first half, the Seawolves appeared to be in control, maintaining possession in the Binghamton end and affording the Bearcats very few scoring opportunities. In the 18th minute, Stony Brook (7-8-3, 3-3-1 AE) struck first off a 20-yard volley from freshman midfielder Martieon Watson. Watson was aided by a slight deflection off of Binghamton freshman midfielder Kevin Flesch.

The second half started in much the same way, with Stony Brook continuing to control the flow of play. In the 72nd minute, Stony Brook’s early dominance culminated with a free-kick goal from just outside the box. Binghamton junior goalkeeper Robert Moewes, recently named America East Goalkeeper of the Year, misplayed the ball. Moewes had anticipated and adjusted for a deflection that didn’t occur, allowing the low cross attempt into the corner of the net.

After Stony Brook opened up its two-goal lead, the Seawolves let their foot off the gas, opening the door for a Binghamton counter attack. The Bearcats found their stride and in the 77th minute as senior back Zach Galluzzo scored, cutting the Seawolves’ lead in half.

Down by one with 13 minutes remaining, the momentum shifted. Binghamton, for the first time in the game, seemed to control both possession and the pace of play.

In the 87th minute, Binghamton was able to prolong its season for at least the length of an overtime period. After the ball reached the goal line, Stony Brook senior goalkeeper Jason Orban raised his hand in an attempt to alert the referee to call the ball out of play and stepped out of position. Junior forward Alex Varkatzas took advantage of this misstep, crossing the ball to freshman forward Nikos Psarras, who slotted the ball into an open net to force overtime.

The goal was the first of Psarras’ collegiate career and the assist was Varkatzas’ second of the game.

“The ball was crossed and Nikos was there,” Marco said. “To see Nikos get his first goal there was incredible.”

After a scoreless first period of overtime, Stony Brook initially came out strong in the second. The Seawolves managed to record two shots in the first two minutes before Binghamton had a chance. In the fourth minute of the period, sophomore forward Ben Ovetsky dribbled down the left side, crossing the ball into the box where a header by senior defender Bret Celeste found the foot of Trappe. Trappe’s shot found the top right corner of the net, ending Stony Brook’s season.

“Pascal’s goal was a special, special goal,” Marco said.

The tally was Trappe’s sixth of the season and third that secured a victory for the Bearcats.

“Even after we were down two to nothing, we never had any doubt that we were going to get something out of the game” Trappe added. “The energy was incredible, after the goal the bench came down the field, the entire team was there.”

Binghamton’s dominance late in the second half and overtime resulted in a lopsided 18-11 shot differential in favor of the Bearcats.

After being picked to finish seventh in the America East preseason poll, Binghamton will face the AE regular season champion Albany this week for a berth in the conference championship. In the lead up to this Wednesday’s semifinal matchup, the Bearcats hope to learn from last Wednesday’s 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Great Danes.

“Albany played great last weekend and this week’s game will be tough but I think we’re up for the challenge,” Trappe said.

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tom and Mary Casey Stadium in Albany, New York.