Editor’s note: Each week of the NFL season, Pipe Dream Sports writer Mary Martellotta will give advice on who to start, who to sit or who to add in your fantasy football league.

This week’s bye will be a tough one especially with teams like Seattle, Arizona and Houston out of the equation. A lot of key players and defenses are out this week that tend to make or break a team. Unfortunately, with the multitude of injuries currently plaguing the NFL, now more than ever it’s vital to maximize the production from the players you have.

Start:

Tavon Austin WR (STL): This week at Minnesota, Austin is a great option if you find yourself in need of a wide receiver. He’s still available in 56.4 percent of ESPN standard leagues and is working off four weeks of fantasy success. In his last four outings he has been frequently targeted and has had four touchdowns over that time period. He’s produced very successfully against some of the toughest defenses, including against the Arizona Cardinals when he compiled over 90 yards and two touchdowns. This week in Minneapolis shouldn’t be different.

Dwayne Harris WR (NYG): Away in Tampa Bay, Harris is a definite risk, but at only 8.4 percent owned, he is a solid start if you’re in a bind. With the injured Giants offense, Harris has been seeing more targets and more yards. This week against Tampa Bay’s soft secondary, Harris should put up points.

Philadelphia Eagles D/ST: Facing Dallas, the Eagles should have a respectable performance. With key defenses out this week, the Eagles are a good replacement. At 66 percent owned, the defense may be hard to add in some of the larger leagues, but get them if you can. The Cowboys offense, which has struggled as of late, means the Eagles should have plenty of chances for sacks and interceptions.

Sit:

Torrey Smith WR (SF): A matchup against the Falcons will not impact Smith’s current spotty fantasy performance. Even with injuries in the 49er’s offense, Smith hasn’t seen an increase in targets. With two straight weeks of poor performances, there isn’t enough evidence to suggest week nine will be any different.

Donte Moncrief WR (IND): This week against Denver should have owners a little worried about Moncrief’s performance. The success of his output is almost totally reliant on whether he scores a touchdown. This is especially true over the last three games, where he has failed to accumulate over 35 yards. Against Denver’s deadly secondary, players like Moncrief are too risky to start.

Pittsburgh Steelers D/ST: This week against Oakland, the Steelers are a questionable defense to start. Even though Oakland doesn’t score many points, opposing defenses haven’t fared well against the Raiders. With an already weak defense, the Steelers will have trouble accumulating points.

Last week’s picks:

Start – Danny Woodhead (SD) – 3 points, Ryan Fitzpatrick (NYJ) – 2 points (left game due to injury)

Sit – Peyton Manning (DEN) – 11 points, Jeremy Hill (CIN) – 6 points