Raquel Panitz/Pipe Dream Photographer

With Binghamton already leading 1-0 against UMBC on Saturday afternoon, Bearcat freshman midfielder Harrison Weilbacher watched his shot in the 78th minute drift past an out-of-position UMBC junior keeper Billy Heavner and into the back-of-the net. The Senior Day crowd over 1,000 strong erupted as it watched what would become the game-winning goal propel the Binghamton men’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory over the reigning America East champion Retrievers.

With the victory, the Bearcats (8-5-2, 3-1-1 America East) clinched a berth in the America East conference tournament for the 13th time in 14 seasons.

“I thought our guys played great against a very good UMBC team,” Binghamton head coach Paul Marco said.

The goal, the first of Weilbacher’s collegiate career, was assisted by freshman forward Nikos Psarras. Heavner stumbled and Psarras capitalized on the opportunity, crossing the ball to Weilbacher for his first career assist.

“Nikos [Psarras] did a great job on the sideline to get himself free,” Weilbacher said. “He tried to get it across, but it kind of got a deflection, and the goalie came out and I just had an open net and placed it in.”

Despite only entering the game as a substitute in the 61st minute, Psarras quickly made his impact. In the 62nd minute, Psarras drew a penalty after being tackled with the ball inside the UMBC (7-5-3, 1-2-2 AE) box on a breakaway attempt. Graduate student midfielder Pascal Trappe converted the penalty kick for his fourth goal of the season, giving the Bearcats a 1-0 lead.

“Nikos came into the game and was a game changer,” Marco said. “He came in and certainly made a great impact in the game, drew a penalty and Pascal smashed one in.”

The lone UMBC goal came off a penalty kick in the 89th minute that resulted from a Bearcat foul in the box. Senior forward Michael Scott took the kick, shooting a low shot past BU junior goalkeeper Robert Moewes to record his third goal of the year and bring the score to 2-1.

With a one-goal difference and two minutes remaining, the Retrievers failed to create any further shots on goal as Binghamton held on for the victory.

Although they came away with the victory, the Bearcats were outshot, 14-11, by UMBC. The Retrievers’ difficulty finding the back of the net was caused by the stellar play of BU’s back line. Moewes once again led the defensive effort, tallying eight saves on Sunday. He has recorded 17 saves in his last two starts combined and has not allowed a non-penalty kick goal in his last 230 minutes of play.

For the second week in a row, Weilbacher was named the America East Rookie of the Week after recording four shots and the game-winning goal in Saturday’s match. Weilbacher has started 14 games this season, which is tied for second on Binghamton with junior back Zach Galluzzo and only surpassed by the 15 starts from junior midfielder Mike Kubik.

Heading into the weekend, BU was stuck in a three-way tie for first with New Hampshire and Vermont. But, after losses by both teams, the Bearcats are now alone at the top of the AE table with 10 points.

The Bearcats are set to return to play on Friday against Stony Brook for the penultimate game of the regular season. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. from LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, New York.