After a disappointing loss at Homecoming, the Binghamton University men’s soccer team was excited to be back in action last week against two opponents. BU held on for a 2-1 win over Syracuse University last Tuesday before dropping its conference opener 3-0 to the University of Vermont on Saturday, the Bearcats’ first against the Catamounts since 2007.

Binghamton (4-6-0, 0-1-0 AE) started off its road trip against the Orange (2-7-0). Leading the team were senior back Jerome Robinson, sophomore forward Luke Halberg and sophomore goalkeeper Chris Hayen. While Robinson and Halberg each scored a goal, a last-second save by Hayen preserved the Bearcat win.

“I thought that we had a couple of good days of preparation for Syracuse, and I felt we started Tuesday very well in the match,” BU head coach Paul Marco said. “I felt we did a good job in getting behind them, possession and getting dangerous crosses in; I thought our team did a pretty good job.”

After a scoreless first half in which the Bearcats outshot Syracuse 7-4, the team finally got its break in the 54th minute when Robinson headed in a cross from junior forward Jake Keegan. The goal marked both Robinson’s second goal in as many games and Keegan’s fourth assist of the season. Keegan now leads the Bearcats in three categories: goals (four), assists (four) and total points (12).

The Bearcats’ second and ultimately winning goal came in the 74th minute of the match when freshman forward Steven Celeste crossed the ball to Halberg for another netted header, making the score 2-0. It marked Halberg’s second goal of the season as well as Celeste’s first collegiate point.

Syracuse attempted to rally late in the game and in the 89th minute, the Orange finally got on the board as senior Dan Summers was able to put the ball past Hayen to cut the Binghamton lead to 2-1.

Syracuse nearly tied the match as Summers again streaked down the field and took a shot from the top of the box, but Hayen made a diving stop to his right as the whistle blew to secure the win for the Bearcats.

“It was disappointing that we conceded a goal when we probably should have had a shutout,” Marco said. “But on the same note, it was great to get the [win].”

Though Binghamton was able to strike first against Syracuse, it was Vermont who took control over Binghamton on Saturday to open conference play.

Just 17 minutes into the game, the Bearcats surrendered a penalty kick that, according to Marco, changed the pace of the entire match.

“When they made the penalty kick, the game then changed a little bit,” he said. “The guys were filled with a little bit of emotion and we weren’t able to seize the moment or play as aggressively as we should have.”

Following the converted penalty shot, the Bearcats were able to get through the remainder of the first half without surrendering any more goals. But at the start of the second, they were unable to execute their plans for the half, surrendering goals in both the 66th and 78th minutes.

“We had discussed trying to be a little more aggressive with the ball, playing behind them more to open space in front of them,” Marco said. “But all it looked like we tried to do was possess the soccer ball on the ground by five and 10-yard passes.”

But Marco was quick to note that Binghamton did not have chances of its own. He was also impressed by freshman Matt McCoy’s effort in the second half.

“Matt got a great opportunity about four yards out from the goal on the far post and unfortunately hit the side netting,” Marco said. “But he was in the right place, and he did all the right things to get there; he just didn’t execute.”

Hayen recorded five saves on the day.

The Bearcats are looking forward to continuing conference play, according to Marco.

“I think all of the conference matches are going to be tight. I think the competitiveness, the willingness, and the drive in matches makes them all the more difficult for both sides,” he said. “But it won’t necessarily be about who is possessing the ball the most. It will be about who is showing the most will and desire to execute in the moment, and hopefully our guys will be able to do that.”

The Bearcats will next see action on Saturday when they travel to take on the University of New Hampshire at Bremner Field for the Bearcats’ second conference game of the season. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m.