Emily Earl/Assistant Photography Editor BU head basketball coach Tommy Dempsey speaking at media day.

With the opening of Binghamton’s men’s basketball practice this week comes the same question fans of the program have been asking for years: Is this the season that Bearcat basketball returns to relevancy? Since the scandal following the team’s NCAA Tournament berth in 2009, it is no secret that the program has fallen on some dark times.

In the years following the 2012-2013 season, when current BU head coach Tommy Dempsey took over the program from former coach Mark Macon, he has accumulated a 16-76 overall record. The program’s highest finish in the America East during that time span was seventh of nine teams.

Dempsey’s numbers are ugly and may lead some to believe that he’s failed as head coach, but his success at the helm of the Bearcats should not be judged by his win-loss record at this point in his tenure. Dempsey has done a solid job rebuilding a program which for too long has produced an unwatchable product and lacked excitement.

Sure, Binghamton has had some ugly moments under Dempsey. There was the 2012-2013 season, in which BU won just three games — one in conference — and you could hear a pin drop in the Events Center. There was the loss to Division II Caldwell last year, which was one of the worst defeats in program history. And of course, there was the departure of guard Jordan Reed, Binghamton’s star player and supposed cornerstone of the program’s rebuild.

However, Dempsey has turned a roster that featured a dearth of talent to one that is filled with skill and depth.

The roster which Dempsey inherited from his predecessor prior to the 2012-2013 was barren; many of the players simply didn’t have DI talent. At times during his first season, the coach was forced to play three former walk-ons on the floor during crucial parts of the game. The players coming off the bench weren’t any better. The Bearcats looked over-matched and were uncompetitive in almost every game that year.

Fast forward three seasons later and the Binghamton roster has transformed. Dempsey has recruited talented, high-character players to fill the team and, for the most part, kept them in the program.

Dempsey was named head coach of the program on May 24, 2012, meaning he didn’t have an entire cycle to recruit that year. Because of this, that first group featured Reed and bunch of spare parts added to the team at the last minute. But, each of his following recruiting classes have brought a major influx of talent.

The 2013-2014 season featured a five-man class which rejuvenated a depressed fan base and provided hope for the future. Two of those players, forwards Nick Madray and Magnus Richards — both of whom transferred following last season — underwhelmed. However, that class added talent to the BU backcourt in the form of now-junior guards Marlon Beck and Yosef Yacob. Yacob was named to the AE All-Rookie team following that season, while Beck has been the starting point guard and leader of the Bearcats for the last three years.

Then, last season, Dempsey supplemented his first real class with both depth and talent. After the departure of Reed, who left the program due to personal reasons, forward Willie Rodriguez, now a sophomore, took his place as the star of the program. He led the team with an average of 11.8 points per game and was named to the AE All-Rookie team. He showed flashes of brilliance throughout the season.

Prior to suffering an ACL injury in January, center Dusan Perovic also proved to be a dominant scorer for the Bearcats, showing touch from inside and outside, where he shot 45 percent from 3-point range.

The other members of that class, forward Bobby Ahearn and guards Romello Walker and Justin McFadden, all proved to be capable players for the Bearcats, starting a combined 72 games while bolstering BU both offensively and defensively. All five have proven they are building blocks to create a successful team.

This year brings forward Thomas Bruce and Everson Davis. Bruce carries the reputation of a strong rim protector and rebounder, while Davis is a combo guard who can score and defend. Both are expected to contribute right away.

The current team has 15 players who were all recruited by Dempsey and his staff. The difference between this year’s roster and the one they inherited is stark.

The Bearcats now feature players who work hard and are exciting to watch. While the wins may not have come in his first three seasons, Dempsey has transformed BU from cellar-dweller and laughingstock into a team that can compete in the conference. If you ask me, that’s far from a failure.