The agonizing silence that swept through the crowd and city of New York on that night late in October 2006 — when Carlos Beltrán struck out looking to send the St. Louis Cardinals to the World Series — dragged on for nine long years. Perhaps you were fortunate enough to sleep through that despair, hoping to awaken in the morning with as much excitement as Christmas morning, learning that the Mets had won. Unfortunately, waking up that morning felt more like the heartbreak of a tough breakup. Pessimistic Mets fans helplessly wondered when the next chance at a World Series run would return, while optimists believed this was only the beginning.

Indeed, it was the start — the start of the demise of a franchise that looked promising, only to become the laughingstock of baseball within a few years. The following season provided Mets fans a feeling of confidence that September would end with another postseason berth. Apparently, the team forgot that a season consists of 162 games, and painted yet again a gloomy image in the minds of fans to replay countless times after blowing a seven-game lead with 17 to play.

Then came 2008. Fast forward halfway into the season and a first-place team fires its manager. As the calendar turned from August to September, a collapse was foreshadowed. Shea Stadium gave way to Citi Field not with jubilation, but with a sour stomach. Happy memories of those in attendance were erased and replaced with a loss to eliminate the team from playoff contention.

Six straight losing seasons ensued; meaningless September baseball in which the team on the field looked more like the Binghamton Mets than the New York Metropolitans.

Remember the “superstars” management acquired to restore the excitement to the field? Jason Bay, Johan Santana, Francisco Rodriguez, J.J. Putz — all given the big bills to come to New York and deliver a postseason opportunity to the fans. Aside from the franchise’s first no-hitter (courtesy of Johan Santana), many of us view their time in Queens as a failure — a laughable disappointment. Following the 2009 season, Mets management stopped spending to acquire superstars, contributing to the lost years and providing no glimmer of hope for the fans.

Then came 2015.

At the season’s beginning, this team was not supposed to be here. Journalists, analysts and baseball lifers all predicted the Washington Nationals to run away with the division. Alas, it wasn’t to be.

The front office finally made the necessary moves to become a playoff team. They rejuvenated the morale of fans who had long doubted the capability of their decision-making. Fans will be forever grateful of the trade that did not happen, for it brought us a reborn Wilmer Flores and a superstar in Yoenis Cespedes. The young players — Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Michael Conforto and others, drafted or brought into the organization to help rebuild and create a playoff team a few years down the road — cannot be forgotten. They exceeded expectations and proved that winning now could become reality. For the fans who never gave up and continued to buy tickets, the division title represents satisfaction — a token of appreciation to their investment in the club.

The pain that the die-hard fans endured during these dumpster years finally paid its dividends. With great risk comes great reward, and that reward enlightened fans over a week ago, when Jeurys Familia collapsed that magic number to zero. As a fan, you knew the Mets wouldn’t blow their lead, but you stared at the television, biting your nails with your heart pounding, knowing that until the final out occurred, trust in the Mets simply could not exist. David Wright, the only player remaining from that 2006 team, rounded the bases after his home run overcome with emotions of relief and triumph. Then, after the final out was recorded, Gary Cohen famously proclaimed:

“He struck him out! Tears of joy for the Mets, National League Eastern Division champions!”

His words marked the end of nine years of misery for Mets fans and rewarded their patience. A celebration followed that most likely disturbed peaceful family dinners around New York, but for one night, it was acceptable. This year, Mets fans, ya’ just gotta believe!