Photo provided

The Binghamton University golf team has been looking forward to this weekend, as the team will compete for its third straight Cornell Invitational title.

In 2010, the Bearcats finished on top in a field of 14 schools. In 2009, 15 competed, but BU still won the event.

“We won it the last two years, which is great, and I really think we’re going to get another win this year,” junior David Cellura said. “Everyone’s been playing good this season, but we just haven’t been playing courses that fit our game.”

Binghamton opened its season with a ninth-place finish at the Turning Stone Tiger Intercollegiate hosted by University of Missouri. Sophomore Bryce Edminster, whose four-over finish (71-73-76) earned him a tie for 18th place, led the Binghamton lineup. Cellura’s 8-over-par performance was good for 25th.

The following weekend, Binghamton travelled to University of Maryland for the Maryland Intercollegiate. The Bearcats posted a seventh-place finish in the field of 13.

For Binghamton’s golfers, the familiarity of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Club will play a big role in how the team performs this weekend.

“Cornell is a great course for us,” Cellura said. “Everyone knows it, par five [holes] are pretty reachable and we all hit it pretty long so we’ll be able to take advantage of it. I really like the lineup and practices have been going well this week. I really think we’re going to do well.”

At the Maryland Intercollegiate on Sept. 12-13, Cellura posted an opening round score of 66 (-5), the best opening round in program history. The junior went on to shoot 75-70 (-2) to tie for 12th place.

“It felt great,” he said. “It was nice to finally have a round in the 60s, but it would have meant more to me if we won the tournament. I love that I shot a 66, but I’d love to shoot a 66 and win as well, that’s ideal.”

The Bearcats will seek to defend their second consecutive title tomorrow, with play extending into Sunday. For BU, a solid week of practice has helped ready the team for the tournament.

“We’ve been working on our putting a lot,” Cellura said. “Coach had us do a couple of drills that focus on our putting since the greens are very big and you can have some tricky putts. We’ve been working on putting a lot so that’s really going to be key.”

GOLF BRIEFS

AMERICA SKY GRANTED AUTOMATIC BID FROM NCAA

The NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet approved the Automatic Qualifying conferences for 2011-12, a list which now includes the America Sky Conference. For the first time in the conference’s short history, the America Sky champion will represent the league in the NCAA championship.

FORMER BINGHAMTON GOLFER JAKE KATZ RECORDS FIRST PROFESSIONAL VICTORY

Binghamton graduate Jake Katz recorded his first professional win earlier this month while competing in the West Florida Golf tour. Katz, who was making his first professional start, shot a 6-under-par score of 66 at Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club in Dade City, Fla. He took home a prize of $1,000.