Sasa Sucic/Staff Photographer The Bearcats snapped a three-match skid this weekend with a 3-1 victory over Providence to earn their first conference win of the year.

The Binghamton University volleyball team rebounded from a three-match losing streak Sunday to capture its first America East conference victory of the season, topping Providence College at home, 3-1.  

“It was very important. Every conference victory is very important for us,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “We are working hard for every win we can get. It was almost a must-win for us because we can’t fall too behind these schools. I am glad they played hard and got a victory.”

The Bearcats (9-12, 1-3 AE) trailed the Friars by two in the opening minutes of the first set, but they found their groove to grab a 9-7 advantage. Although the Bearcats held the lead for much of the frame, Providence (6-15, 1-3 AE) remained within striking distance.

A Binghamton surge, highlighted by a kill from junior middle blocker Alex Roland, extended the BU lead to five, forcing a Providence timeout. When action resumed, the Friars rallied for two consecutive points, but the Bearcats responded by scoring three of the last five points to capture the opening set, 25-19.

In the second set, the Friars jumped out to a quick 4-1 lead. The Bearcats answered by tying the set at six before pushing ahead by one. After a Providence timeout, BU continued to build upon its lead, but the Friars clawed back and reduced Binghamton’s lead to one.

Binghamton would score five of the next seven points to build a 17-13 advantage, prompting Providence to call its second timeout of the frame. The Friars then scored six consecutive points and picked up their intensity on the defensive end, holding the Bearcats to a match-worst -.096 attack percentage.

The Bearcats were unable to recover from the sudden shift in momentum and dropped the second set, 25-22.

Kiriyama said the second set was obtainable, if not for the team’s sloppy play.

“It was the hitting and serving errors towards the end that really did us in that second game,” he said. “We just had to clean it up our side a lot and hopefully just play up to our potential on the offensive and defensive side.”

The Bearcats showed resiliency by dominating the Friars in the third set, 25-12. Freshman libero Emily Litwin held serve for seven consecutive points and freshman setter Amanda Dettmann connected on a pair of service aces to build a 10-point advantage for the Bearcats.

Binghamton improved its offensive play by posting a .296 attack percentage and stymied the Friars’ offense by holding them to a -.032 attack percentage, its lowest for the match.

BU sustained its rhythm in the fourth set, breaking a 6-6 tie early in the frame to establish an 8-6 lead.

As in the previous sets, the Bearcats led for most of the frame but could not establish much separation from the Friars as they were only able to stretch their lead to a maximum of four points.

Unlike the third set, the Friars were more accurate with their attacks, posting a .296 attack percentage. BU, on the other hand, recorded a measly .268 percent.

At the midway point of the set the Friars trailed the Bearcats by only two, but Binghamton’s resolve propelled the team to capture the fourth set 25-22 and the match 3-1.

Despite the victory, Kiriyama said that there is still room for improvement with his team.

“We need to continue to play with more intensity and make better decisions,” he said. “Especially when we’re in a difficult position to play the ball over. We can’t afford to make these errors, so we’ve got to be smarter with some of the balls we’re getting on our side.”

Sophomore middle hitter Grace Vickers led Binghamton with 17 kills, Dettmann dished out a match-best 47 assists and sophomore libero Xiomara Ortiz paced the BU back line with 20 digs.

Binghamton is scheduled to travel to University of New Hampshire to face the Wildcats on Friday. First serve is slated for 7 p.m.