In its second year competing in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA), the Binghamton wrestling team (9-10, 5-4 EIWA) is set to enter the postseason looking more like veterans. Winning their final three matches of the regular season — one of which came against the EIWA’s top dog, Bucknell — the Bearcats look poised for success as they take off at their second-ever EIWA Championships.

“It definitely feels good going in on a win streak,” 184-pound junior Jack McKeever said. “We just look forward to going forward on that streak continuing on to the EIWAs.”

Along with their hot streak, the Bearcats will enter the weekend with three-seeded wrestlers 125-pound senior David White, 165-pound redshirt freshman Zack Zupan and senior heavyweight Tyler Deuel. For his part, Deuel will enter the championship with the one seed after his dramatic victory over Bucknell’s senior Joe Stolfi on Feb. 20. With just under two weeks for the wrestlers to recoup after their final regular-season dual meet, BU’s 10 qualifying wrestlers are now rested and ready to go.

“I just try to keep it relaxed,” Deuel said of his keys to success. “Have fun with it, put the training in. I’m ready to win the title and go out there and get it done.”

Deuel — who wields a perfect 11-0 record in the EIWA this season — has certainly gotten it done on the mat. But for the team’s underclassmen, who make up a majority of this year’s young BU roster, the trip to the championship of one of the nation’s toughest wrestling conferences doubles as a valuable learning experience.

“I have no pressure,” 174-pound freshman Steve Schneider said. “I’m a true freshman, I have nothing to lose. So my plan is to go out on a bang.”

While head coach Matt Dernlan hopes that his team will find success at Lehigh, he stresses that his team will “keep in the moment” and take the championship one match at a time.

“Really, what we’re focused on is our first seven minutes Friday morning,” Dernlan said. “And once we get through that, we’ll focus on the second morning and continue building momentum from there.”

Last season, Binghamton finished seventh in the EIWA championship after going 2-7 in conference play. Finishing 5-4 in EIWA play this season, with a dominating upper-weight section, BU hopes to build upon its 2014 performance. But in a sport as physical as wrestling, Dernlan knows that the team will have to keep emotions in check as it seeks to avenge last year.

“The biggest thing about having success in the postseason is learning how to manage that fight,” Dernlan said. “There’s a lot of pressure, there’s a lot of expectation, and it’s our job as a coaching staff to keep the guys grounded and in the moment.”

With wrestling set to get underway today at 10 a.m., a chance at the NCAA Championships later this month in St. Louis is on the line for all 158 participating. But for the Bearcats who have been working toward this moment for years, they know that championships are only wrestled on the mat — and not won there.

“We’ve been in here since July working to get the best results in March,” Deuel said, “and it starts this weekend.”