Franz Lino/Photo Editor Senior outfielder Jake Thomas batted .462 in Binghamton’s series with Auburn. He went 4 for 5 with five RBI, including a three-run home run in the fifth inning.

While Binghamton saw temperatures in the negatives this weekend, the Binghamton baseball team was opening its season in the sunny weather of Auburn, Alabama.

Due to frigid Binghamton weather, the Bearcats (1-2) hadn’t had an outdoor practice in the 2015 season until Thursday night. But the team heated up in Alabama, posting a dominant 11-5 win over Auburn (2-1) in the second game of the series. The victory was BU’s second ever against a Southeastern Conference opponent, with its first coming against Tennessee in 2010.

“It’s an outstanding win anytime you can beat a team from the SEC,” BU head coach Tim Sinicki said. “In fact, this weekend, I think we were every bit as good as they were. And maybe in some instances better for two and a half games.”

After an AU home run early, Friday’s opener put the Bearcats’ competitiveness on display, as they allowed only six more hits in the game. Senior ace Greg Ostner finished the game throwing 4.1 innings with two runs allowed on six hits. Senior reliever Vincent Caputo allowed just one hit in 2.2 scoreless innings before handing the ball to sophomore reliever Nicholas Liegi, who pitched a scoreless eighth inning.

Binghamton came to bat down 2-0 in the top of the ninth, and after junior second baseman Reed Gamache smacked a one-out single to left field, the tying run came up to the plate. But a strikeout followed by a groundout ended any shot of a comeback for BU, and the Tigers saved the game, 2-0.

The Bearcats fared differently on Saturday, lighting up the hosts with 11 runs on 14 hits. Senior right fielder Jake Thomas went 4 for 5 with four RBI and was one double short of hitting for the cycle. Thomas’ day was highlighted by a three-run homer he launched into left field to put BU up, 5-2, in the fifth. Sophomore shortstop Brendan Skidmore extended the lead in the seventh with a two-run double to center field, and Thomas led the charge again in the eighth inning, ripping a two-run triple into right-center field. BU took the second game of the series, 11-5.

Seeking to win the series on Sunday, the Bearcats jumped out to a quick lead, 1-0, in the second on an RBI groundout by redshirt junior catcher Nick Pancerella. Junior pitcher Rob Hardy diffused the Tigers’ offense, allowing just one hit and striking out five in 5.0 scoreless innings. But Auburn responded in the sixth, plating four runs. After BU brought in another run to trim the Tigers’ lead to 4-2, Auburn exploded for nine runs in the next two innings to take the rubber game, 13-2.

“I wasn’t interested in bringing back guys who had already pitched in previous games,” Sinicki said. “We had to make a move and it was time for some young guys to get their feet wet and have an opportunity to pitch at the Division I level. Unfortunately, things just didn’t go well for those kids.”

Thomas finished the series batting a stellar six for 13 to give him a .462 batting average.

“He’s capable of being the Player of the Year in the [America East] Conference,” Sinicki said. “Offensively, he’s got the skill set that makes him, I think, the most dynamic player in the America East. “

Binghamton is scheduled to begin a three-game set at William & Mary at 4 p.m. on Friday at Plumeri Park in Williamsburg, Virginia.