Tycho McManus/Pipe Dream Staff Photographer The Binghamton softball team returns six starting position players from last year’s team, which finished third in the America East Championships.

A quick glance at the current Binghamton softball roster reveals just how young the Bearcats are entering 2015. The Bearcats have just one senior on their squad, while 12 of their 19 players are underclassmen. Factor in the loss of two of the most accomplished players in program history, and it may seem as if BU is at a disadvantage.

But Binghamton’s talent makes up for its lack of experience. The Bearcats return the 2014 America East Player of the Year in junior outfielder Sydney Harbaugh and are set to feature one of the most effective lineups in the conference.

“I think we definitely lost some experience,” said BU head coach Michelle Burrell. “We are looking forward to having some of our junior class and our senior … step into some of those roles now.”

While the Bearcats lost their decorated second baseman — two-time first-team all-conference selection Jessica Bump — to graduation, they return six starting position players from a team that finished third in the AE a season ago. Headlining that group is Harbaugh. The junior led the team with a .366 batting average in 2014 while driving in 32 runs and stealing 30 bases. Harbaugh garnered AE first-team all-conference awards for the second consecutive season and earned AE Player of the Year honors as well.

Junior Lisa Cadogan, who likewise made AE first-team last season after connecting for eight home runs, also returns for BU. Though she spent the majority of her first two years at first, Cadogan will shift behind the plate due to an injury to junior catcher Taylor Chaffee. Chaffee, who belted 12 long balls in 2014 and was named second-team all-conference, is expected to be either the designated hitter or first baseman upon return.

Sophomore outfielder Bridget Hunt — who was second on the team with a .329 batting average last season — and classmate Gabby Bracchi — who was third with a .324 clip — both earned AE all-rookie honors last season and are expected to be equally prominent this year. Freshman infielder Stephanie Bielec, a five-year letter winner at Niagara Falls High School and a Niagara Gazette All-Star, will be called upon to replace Bump at second base.

“We did lose a lot of good players, but we also gained a lot of really good freshmen and our sophomores now … have a year of experience under their belt,” Harbaugh said. “So far, we’ve been playing very well as a team. I think that we’re going to do just fine.”

Binghamton may have a strong set of returners in the field, but the mound is a whole different story. Demi Laney, one of the most decorated pitchers in school history, graduated at the end of 2014 after throwing for 58 percent of the team’s innings a season ago.

Hoping to fill Laney’s shoes is freshman Sarah Miller. In 209 career high school innings, Miller compiled a 1.51 ERA and struck out 194 batters. She also held opponents to a .203 batting average and was selected to the Texas Girls Coaches Association all-state team twice.

Expected to share innings on the mound with Miller is sophomore Shelby Donhauser. As a freshman, Donhauser struggled, composing a 9.06 ERA while walking 14 in 31 and two-thirds innings pitched. During the preseason, Burrell has noticed significant improvement from the now-sophomore.

“Donhauser put a lot of work in during the offseason and really gained some confidence last year and she will be an additional starter for us,” Burrell said. “I think we definitely have a good staff to work with on the mound this year.”

BU has five games scheduled over a three-day span this weekend as the team heads to the Georgia Southern Tournament. BU’s season opener is set for noon today against Boston College at the GS Softball Complex in Statesboro, Georgia.