Franz Lino/Photo Editor Senior ace Greg Ostner is set to headline BU’s pitching staff this season after a breakout performance in last year’s postseason.

Picked to finish third in the America East this season, the Binghamton baseball team’s internal expectations haven’t changed: They’re going for the championship. This season in particular, that means the Bearcats are looking for a three-peat.

That might prove challenging given how many starters head coach Tim Sinicki lost from last season’s 25-27 team. Center-fielder Bill Bereszniewicz was drafted by the L.A. Dodgers in the 28th round. Up the middle, double-play tandem Daniel Nevares and John Howell graduated, leaving the short stop and second base positions vacated.

But if Binghamton’s 2014 championship run proved anything, it’s that depth and balance are key. Even though they were the defending champions, the Bearcats came up as the dark horse in the tournament. They had to capture four straight elimination games to win the title.

That success came on the backs of many non-starters, as injuries depleted the Bearcat roster and left players like current senior Greg Ostner and sophomores Eddie Posavec and Brendan Skidmore in starting roles.

With an appearance in the NCAA Stillwater Regional, BU proved its depth and efficacy in 2014. This season, Sinicki expects players to step up just as much.

“I think that balance is the key word,” Sinicki said of his team in 2015. “That’s how I’m kind of viewing this year’s team, as a group of guys who may not be long on experience but who have the ability to take advantage of the opportunities being given to them right now.”

Some of those are the 13 incoming freshmen, but there are also a number of returners. Ostner is moving from the bullpen to the ace spot after his prolific postseason performance last year, through which he pitched a complete-game shutout of Hartford in BU’s first AE elimination game. He compiled a 3-2 record with a team-high four saves in the regular season, and he’ll be starting Friday in the season opener.

“[Ostner] pitches to contact and defense has been a strength of ours for a few years now,” Sinicki said. “A guy who is going to change speeds and mixes pitches — I think those are the types of guys who have been successful for us.”

Also returning is senior Jake Thomas, who is moving from left field to right field. Though a strong defensive player on a team that ranked in the nation’s top 20 in fielding percentage last season, Thomas is better known for his plate presence and terrific eye. The two-time first-team all-conference player finished third nationally in on-base percentage with a .517 mark as a sophomore and had 35 RBI last season.

“[Thomas] has been a focal point of our offense for four years now,” Sinicki said. “I’m sure people will try to pitch around him and not let him be the guy to beat them … Right now, Jake has to be patient, let the game come to him.”

Filling out the field, BU has a variety of returners and newcomers. Senior Zach Blanden will take center field while senior Brian Ruby and junior David Schanz — both of whom were injured for large parts of 2014 — are expected to return to first and third base, respectively. Junior Reed Gamache is set for second after playing third last year, and Skidmore and freshman Paul Rufo are competing for shortstop.

At catcher, BU has depth between Posavec, senior Nick Pancerella and freshman Jason Agresti, all of whom are in top shape.

But even with the returners, there’s a degree of uncertainty concerning veterans taking on new roles.

“Last year, with the experience we had in our lineup, it was calming to know that the lineup was in tact,” Sinicki said. “It’s different this year in that it’s very exciting. It’s exciting to know that the first four weekends of non-conference play, we’ll play with this lineup and have all types of different looks to it and combinations.”

On the mound, junior Mike Bunal will take the No. 2 spot this weekend, while junior transfer Rob Hardy is slated for the closer.

Binghamton opens its 2015 season against SEC-member Auburn this weekend. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m. today at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Alabama. The games will be broadcast on ESPN3.

-E.Jay Zarett contributed reporting to this article.