Daniel O?Connor/Photo Editor Women?s basketball is entering a pivotal stretch in its schedule before the playoffs.

For much of this season, the Binghamton University women’s basketball team has been the clear-cut favorite to finish second in the America East.

However, in order to secure the second seed in the upcoming AE tournament, the Bearcats must quickly put behind them, and move on from, two of their most disappointing losses of the season.

When the Vermont Catamounts (5-22, 5-9 AE) visited Binghamton on Saturday, they became the first team to defeat the Bearcats on their home court this year. Prior to the game the Bearcats owned a 10-game home winning streak which tied them with the 2005-06 squad for the program’s longest such streak.

But a new record was not in the cards as a poor first half by the Bearcats came back to haunt them and they dropped the game 59-58. Coupled with a University of Maryland, Baltimore County win on Sunday, the loss propelled the Retrievers into second place while BU slid to third.

Last night, Binghamton entered what is likely its most critical stretch of the season as it faced off against University of Hartford, and two of the AE’s top five teams are on the horizon: the University at Albany Great Danes and the Boston University Terriers. After last night’s results, UMBC rose to first with its win over Boston, and Hartford moved into a tie for third with its 55-37 drubbing of the Bearcats.

When the Bearcats defeated the Hawks on Jan. 17, it marked the first time they had done so since 2005.

Juniors Andrea Holmes and Viive Rebane each contributed 18 points, nine rebounds and three assists to the winning effort, BU’s first in Hartford since 2003.

Three days later the Bearcats beat the Albany Great Danes at the Events Center to take over sole possession of second place.

Following an overtime win in Vermont over the Catamounts, Binghamton visited Boston with first place on the line.

Though ahead early, Binghamton allowed the Terriers to claw back and take a commanding 41-24 lead early in the second half as one of the most-hyped America East matchups of the year looked to be yet another easy win for an undefeated Boston team.

But the Bearcats stormed back to take a 55-54 lead with under five minutes remaining. The Terriers, however, had no intentions of squandering first place on that night and jumped ahead for good just 13 seconds after Binghamton had taken the lead. Boston took the game and handed the Bearcats their second conference loss of the season, 65-60.

The wins over Hartford and Albany and the close-call against Boston served as a message to the rest of the conference that Binghamton would likely be a force to be reckoned with all season long.

Despite her team’s two wins against three of the America East’s top five teams the first time around, head coach Nicole Scholl said the most important aspect in the upcoming days wouldn’t be measured in numbers.

“It’s not the wins and losses part of it, but [it’s the] confidence level and how well we’re playing going into the tournament,” she said.

But whether Scholl likes it or not, wins and losses do dictate conference standings and, more importantly, seeding when the calendar turns to March.

As of late, the Terriers have struggled and no longer sit atop the conference standings. In the previous week they have dropped their first two conference games against the very same Hartford and Albany teams against which Binghamton played last night and will play on Sunday, respectively. That makes Binghamton’s loss to Hartford last night that much more significant.

“[The three] are really good teams, we have to bring our best game,” Rebane said. “If we don’t come out strong, they’re going to beat us. Every team in this conference is good, nothing is going to be easy.”

The Great Danes and Hawks are now hot on Binghamton’s tail, the latter of which extended their winning streak to six games with their win last night at the Events Center. On Sunday the Bearcats are set to travel to Albany for a scheduled 2 p.m. game. With both Binghamton and Boston losing last night, the two teams will likely be fighting for the second seed in their matchup on Wednesday, although Hartford is now in position to make a run at the No. 2 seed as well.

“Every game from now until the tournament is going to be really important,” said junior Orla O’Reilly. “What we do in the next few games is what we’re going to be doing in the tournament.”

The timing of these critical games adds to the competitive factor, Scholl added.

“At this point in time of the season when you’re very well scouted, you’ve got the bull’s-eye on your back and that’s just the way it is,” she said.