10. Mike Augliera strikes out 15 in two-hit shutout

Just nine days ago, junior Mike Augliera came through with one of the most dominating pitching performances in the history of Binghamton’s baseball program. Augliera mowed down a Division I program-record 15 batters during his two-hit shutout of UMBC, falling one strikeout shy of the conference record. He didn’t allow a hit until the seventh inning and didn’t walk a batter. His performance earned him Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors.

9. Men’s soccer tops Vermont 1-0 on Homecoming Weekend

The 2010 Homecoming match was extra special this year as it marked the 50th anniversary of the existence of men’s soccer at Binghamton University. Before 2,240 fans, junior captain Ryan Walter netted the game’s only goal in the 15th minute to give the Bearcats a victory over the rival Catamounts.

8. Softball clinches its first-ever America East tournament berth

With a 9-8, eight-inning victory over Stony Brook on May 1, the softball team locked up an America East playoff spot for the first time since joining the conference. The team’s .588 conference winning percentage marked its best in its 10-year America East tenure. The Bearcats carried the No. 3 seed into the tournament.

7. Wrestling sends record-tying six wrestlers to NCAA Championship

After setting a program record with six NCAA qualifiers in 2010, the wrestling team matched that feat this year. The Bearcats locked up four spots at the Colonial Athletic Association tournament and secured two at-large berths. Five of the six grapplers were making their second NCAA appearances, while senior Ryan McGarity wrestled at nationals for the first time.

6. Men’s tennis wins fourth straight America East title

The men’s tennis team had a disastrous start to its season, winning just two of its first 14 matches. But the Bearcats rebounded in a huge way, winning 10 of their next 11 matches en route to their fourth straight conference title. The team went 7-0 in April and rode an eight-match winning streak into its match against No. 12 UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

5. Erik van Ingen runs sub-four-minute mile for second consecutive year

At the Valentine Invitational at Boston University on Feb. 12, senior Erik van Ingen ran a 3:57.11 in the mile, marking the second year in a row he ran a mile in under four minutes. At the time of the run, his time was the second-fastest mile time in the country for the season. He broke his own school record of 3:59.41, which he set on Jan. 30, 2010 at the Penn State Open.

4. Own goal ends men’s soccer’s season

One week after defeating the University of New Hampshire at home, the men’s soccer team hosted the Wildcats again, this time in the America East quarterfinals. In the 62nd minute, with the game scoreless, senior back Kyle Manscuk tried to head the ball back to redshirt freshman goalkeeper Chris Hayen, but the ball sailed over Hayen’s head and into the net for an own goal. The Bearcats went on to lose 1-0, marking the second straight season they lost on their home turf in the AE quarterfinals to an opponent they had beaten the previous week.

3. Ed Stephenson resigns as men’s lacrosse head coach

Feeling that three of his suspended student-athletes were being treated unfairly, Ed Stephenson resigned from his post as men’s lacrosse head coach on March 19 in protest of the University’s actions. Stephenson had been the only head coach in the program’s history, and the team had been on a four-game win streak.

2. Women’s tennis hands Boston University first-ever America East loss

The women’s tennis team made history with its 4-3 victory over Boston on April 10. Not only was it Binghamton’s first-ever win against Boston, but the Terriers were previously unbeaten all-time in America East play, dating all the way back to 1989 when women’s tennis was added to the conference. Boston got its revenge in the AE championship match, edging the Bearcats 4-3 in the finals for the second straight year.

1. Erik van Ingen becomes All-American at NCAA Indoor Championship

Van Ingen had come close to becoming an All-American a few times throughout his collegiate career, but on March 12, he finally broke through in the finals of the mile run. He finished with a time of 4:01.25, which was good for fifth place. For finishing in the top eight, van Ingen earned USTFCCCA First-Team All-American honors. He became Binghamton’s seventh Division I All-American and gave Binghamton an All-American for the fourth straight year.