Franz Lino/Photo Editor Sophomore outside hitter Allison Hovie led the Bearcats with 26 kills through two games this weekend against New Hampshire and UMass Lowell.

The Binghamton volleyball team yielded a split bill in America East play this weekend, dropping a grueling five-set match to New Hampshire before sweeping UMass Lowell two days later. Through the win and the loss, the team improved its conference record to 2-1.

The Bearcats (4-15, 2-1 AE) traveled to Durham, N.H. on Friday to take on the defending AE Champion, New Hampshire (9-11, 2-1 AE). In a wild, back and forth match, the Wildcats prevailed in five sets to subdue the Bearcats.

Binghamton opened the match with a 26-24 win in the first stanza. The Bearcats set the tone early with a stout defense, limiting UNH to a .115 hitting percentage while posting a .205 percentage of their own.

A strong second set performance by New Hampshire leveled the match at one game apiece. Binghamton’s eight attack errors led to a .055 hitting percentage that it could not overcome and New Hampshire ended on top, 25-18.

Binghamton triumphed in the third set, 25-20. The Bearcats were led by outside hitters Allison and Kristin Hovie, who combined for eight kills in the set.

The Bearcats were unable to finish off the Wildcats in the fourth set. UNH won, 25-21, effectively extending the match to a pivotal fifth set. At that point, the wheels came off for Binghamton: New Hampshire jumped out to a 7-2 advantage from which the Bearcats could not recover and they dropped the set, 15-7.

“We just couldn’t get it going early,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “I thought New Hampshire played a little bit better than we did. We had to hit a lot better in order to beat them and we just didn’t execute when we needed to.”

Against UMass Lowell (2-18, 0-3 AE) on Sunday, BU controlled the first set from beginning to end en route to a 25-17 win. Poor hitting doomed the River Hawks, who were held to a .062 hitting percentage, and a well-balanced offense — featuring five players who contributed kills — sealed the deal for BU.

The second set saw the two teams battle back and forth to open play, but a 6-2 run propelled the Bearcats ahead. Binghamton cruised to a 25-14 victory, finishing the set with a season-high .389 hitting percentage.

Shoddy play by the River Hawks made the final set for the Bearcats a mere formality. Poor hitting by UMass Lowell led to eight attack errors, and BU completed the sweep with a 25-18 win.

Binghamton was led this weekend by Allison Hovie — who turned in back-to-back 13 kill performances — and reigning America East Rookie of the Week Alexis LaGoy. The 5-foot-11 middle hitter continued her impressive debut campaign with 19 terminations in two games.

The Bearcats played a difficult non-conference schedule, struggling against top competition. But in developing their play against higher calibered programs, the Bearcats have found considerably more success in their first three AE games.

“I thought they’re maturing in that aspect,” Kiriyama said. “They’re overcoming obstacles a lot easier and quicker.”

Binghamton is slated to return to action this weekend in its first home matches of the season, after having played 19 consecutive matches on the road.

“We’re finally looking forward to being at home,” Kiriyama said. “It’s been a long time.”

The Bearcats play their home opener against Hartford, with first serve scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday. On Saturday, they’re set to host Stony Brook in a 1 p.m. matchup. Both contests will take place at the West Gym.