Eric Jackson/File photo Sophomore outfielder Jessica Phillips was named America East Rookie of the Year last season after leading the conference in home runs with 15.

The finishing touches are almost in order for the 2010-11 Binghamton University softball team, which is less than one week away from kicking off its campaign in DeLand, Fla. The squad is set to start the season competing in a three-day tournament hosted by Stetson University as it begins its quest for a conference title game appearance after falling one game shy last year. The games will be played at the 2007 and 2008 National Fastpitch Coaches Association National Field of the Year, Patricia Wilson Field.

The team returns eight starters, including seniors Deannie Plemon and Stephanie DeLuca, who will serve as co-captains at catcher and first base, respectively. To complement the returners, the program welcomes nine freshmen, including pitcher Demi Laney, adding depth to the staff.

Under the leadership of second-year head coach Michelle Burrell, Binghamton transformed the softball program last season, putting together its most successful campaign in its nine-year Division I history with a 24-19 finish.

“We have great coaches and they turned the program around as a whole,” Plemon said. “They brought our spirits up and let us know that we have the talent to win. I think they are doing great.”

THE BATTERY

The Bearcats have experience both on the mound and behind the plate, with Plemon slated to be the squad’s backstop for the fourth consecutive year. Completing the punch, Binghamton returns three pitchers with collegiate starts. The staff include 6-foot-2-inch sophomore Kate Price, sophomore Rhoda Marsteller and junior Kristen Emerling. The trio combined for 290 strikeouts last season while holding its opponents to a .260 batting average. The accomplishments of last year’s pitching staff did not go unnoticed, as Marsteller was named to the America East All-Rookie Team, while Price ranked 29th in the nation with four saves. Junior Kristen Emerling was named to second team All-Conference after ranking second in the America East in earned run average. Newcomer Laney will round out this year’s pitching staff after being named first team All-State in Florida.

“It’s really great to have all of these returners,” Plemon said. “The pitchers and catchers have really good chemistry.”

For the Bearcat pitchers, returning last year’s catcher is a huge advantage, as the chemistry will carry over into the new season.

“I am going into my third season pitching to Deannie and you have a bond with your catcher,” Emerling said. “Just being on the same wavelength as your catcher takes a lot of stress off because you are on the same page, she can call pitches that I would have called and it’s easy to pitch.”

OFFENSIVE FIREPOWER

The power-heavy squad proved its worth last year, posting remarkable offensive numbers. Four starters batted over .300, three of whom will be returning to the lineup this year. Deannie Plemon leads the offense after finishing with an impressive .367 batting average last season, along with 44 RBI, 14 home runs and a .767 slugging percentage. She ranked first on the team in batting average and RBI and second in home runs and slugging percentage, just .003 points and one home run behind sophomore Jessica Phillips, who led in both categories. Plemon comes off first team All-Conference and second team All-Region honors.

Plemon attributes much of her success to coaching, as improvement in practices has shown up on game day.

“It really helps to do all of the live [batting practice] that we do,” she said. “We hit live at least two times a week and went to Colgate to see other pitchers, which will help for the tournament in Florida.”

Burrell has brought in a speedy freshman class to complete the offense. Working with a 20-person squad, utilizing the bench should not be a problem.

“The speed in the lineup puts the defense on their toes,” said DeLuca, the team’s first baseman. “We have enough depth to put on pinch runners.”

VETERAN LEADERSHIP

With nine total newcomers and freshmen, Jessica Bump will likely occupy a starting middle infield job. Among other upperclassmen, Plemon and DeLuca have taken it upon themselves to serve as liaisons to new teammates in both the mental and physical aspects of the game.

“It is a big transition to go from high school to college,” DeLuca said. “Several of them asked me to work with them outside of practice just to fine-tune their skills. I have taken a bigger leadership role, [I’ve] served as a positive role model and tell them to have fun, it’s not as scary as you may think.”

With Bump in the middle infield, DeLuca has taken it upon herself to make her feel comfortable throwing to first base.

“I try to instill confidence in her to throw the ball wherever,” DeLuca said. “If you throw it in the dirt, I’ll get it. Don’t put extra pressure on yourself.”

MOVING FORWARD

Binghamton will begin the new season with a challenging schedule as it is slated to take on Ivy League champion Cornell University, Patriot League champion Bucknell University and Big East member St. John’s University, all before conference play kicks off at the University of Hartford on March 26.

“We are continuing to work hard and keep progressing,” Plemon said. “We left on a good note last year even though we did not make it to the tournament. We are really excited on how the program has turned around so we would just like to continue that success and build it further.”