Coming off a ninth-place finish at the Turning Stone Tiger Intercollegiate last weekend, the Binghamton University golf team will take to the course again on Monday and Tuesday to compete in the Maryland Intercollegiate at Rivermarsh Golf Club.

The weather proved a challenge last weekend when rainy conditions on Day 2 contributed to a 23 over par final-round score of 311 and prevented the team from improving on its ninth-place standing.

“The greens were treated well so they kept us out there, but it was pretty bad so we really weren’t able to show our best stuff,” BU head coach Bernie Herceg said. “That was really the only disappointment we had.”

Sophomore Bryce Edmister, who led the Bearcats with a 220 finish through 54 holes last weekend, will look to continue his strong play. Edmister will seek to earn his fourth collegiate top-20 finish at the Maryland Intercollegiate after notching his third last weekend.

Junior David Cellura will also look to build on last weekend’s outing. Tying a career best in the second round with a score of 72, he ended the tournament in 25th place. Cellura finished the weekend with a 224.

Two newcomers, Jack Sedgewick and Josh Holling, entered the mix for the BU golf team last weekend as well, and both impressed in their debuts. Holling, a transfer from Corning Community College, and Sedgewick, a freshman, both finished in the top 50.

“It was great to get them some experience and see how these tournaments are,” Herceg said of the rookies’ performances last weekend. “It was a very competitive event and a lot of top-ranked teams were there, so it was good to see them compete against some of the better players in the country. It was a great experience for them.”

As the season progresses and Binghamton continues to adjust to the loss of star player Jake Katz to graduation, each member will play a large role in the success of the team. The void leaves room for even the freshmen to make a difference and the opportunity for any player to shine and step up as a clear leader.

“With the Jake Katz era over, we need to move on from that,” Herceg said. “It’s no time to look in the past; it’s time to move forward. It’s great to have freshmen that are coming on board to get the opportunity to compete already and just make this a stronger team in the future.”

Play is set to kick off at Rivermarsh Golf Club in College Park, Md. on Monday and is scheduled to continue through Tuesday.