The Binghamton University golf team garnered a seventh-place finish at the Wolfpack Spring Open early last week as senior Jake Katz notched his fifth runner-up performance of the season with a 2-over-par 144 outing.

The Bearcats posted two rounds of 303-301 at the open, which was hosted by No. 23 North Carolina State at the Loonie Pool Golf Course in Raleigh, N.C on April 16 and 17. Richmond University took first out of 12 teams in the tournament with a two-day 36-hole total of 582.

“Our goal was to break 300 and I would have liked to break it but overall it was a good tournament,” said Binghamton head coach Bernie Herceg, according to a Binghamton University press release. “Hopefully we can take some momentum and scoring confidence heading into conference in a couple weeks.”

The teams battled harsh conditions on the opening day of play, as high winds produced scores that were above 77 on average.

On Sunday, Katz recovered nicely from a rough first-hole bogey where he was forced to take an unplayable on a par-5 hole. In the preceding eight holes, the co-captain managed to bounce back with six pars and two birdies. He found himself tied for the lead at 1-under-par.

Katz would finish the tournament 2-over-par with a 144, a performance that would award him with a second-place finish, the 11th of his career.

Katz’s recent play has garnered him some attention as of late. On Friday, the reigning America Sky Tri-Player of the Year was named the America Sky Golfer of the Week for the sixth time, the most among all players in the conference. The nomination tied a school record for the most weekly honors in a single year among all athletes. Katz, who has led the Bearcats in scoring in 14 straight tournaments, has now defeated more than 96 percent of his Division I opponents. On April 8, Katz was featured in Golfweek Magazine.

Ranking second among the Bearcats on the weekend was junior Mike Surdey. Surdey placed 22nd overall with 75-76 rounds.

Sophomore David Cellura and senior co-captain Andrew Marler tied for 42nd in the tournament. Cellura posted a steady 77-78, while Marler drew 80-75 finish. Freshman Bryce Edmister finished in 57th with rounds of 81-77.

The Bearcats are scheduled to head to the Troon North Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz. to compete in the America Sky Championship on May 2.