Binghamton’s eighth-inning rally fell short, and the Bearcats lost to No. 23 Ole Miss on Saturday at North Carolina State’s Doak Field in an NCAA Regional elimination game. With the defeat, Binghamton, which dropped its tournament opener to host NC State on Friday, finishes its season with a 30-25 record.

Trailing 8-2 in the eighth inning, the Bearcats loaded the bases with no outs, but the Rebels (38-23) used a double play and a strikeout to limit the damage to two unearned runs. Ole Miss redshirt senior Tanner Bailey, who allowed the eighth-inning runs, shut the door on Binghamton with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.

Binghamton redshirt senior starter Jake Lambert lost his scoreless streak at 23 innings, as Ole Miss tagged him for two runs in the first inning, and allowed four runs over 6 1/3 innings. He took the loss in the final game of his collegiate career.

At the dish, sophomore right fielder Zach Blanden went 4 for 5 to finish regional play with seven hits in nine at-bats. Junior first baseman Brian Ruby and senior designated hitter Jordon Smucker each went 2 for 3.

The Bearcats were forced into the elimination game after a 4-1 loss to No. 7 NC State on Friday night. Junior starter Jack Rogalla allowed four runs in 6 2/3 innings, and though Binghamton finished with eight hits, the offense couldn’t muster more than the one run.

After the Wolfpack took a 2-0 lead on a first-inning homer, junior designated hitter Shaun McGraw led off the second with a single and came around to score with two outs.

The Bearcats had a chance to take the lead in the fourth inning, as sophomore catcher Nick Pancerella hit a fly ball down the right field line with two outs and runners on first and second. But NC State sophomore right fielder Jake Fincher made a spectacular diving catch over his shoulder to end the frame. If the ball had sailed over Fincher’s head, both runners likely would have scored to give Binghamton a 3-2 lead.

The Wolfpack padded its advantage with a sixth-inning solo shot and another run in the seventh, and NC State senior pitcher Josh Easley allowed just two baserunners in 4 1/3 innings of relief to end the game.

Blanden went 3 for 4 at the plate, and five other Bearcats recorded one hit.

Looking ahead to 2014, almost every key position player is set to return, though Lambert and senior starter Jay Lynch have exhausted their collegiate eligibility.