Sophomore pitcher Mike Urbanski worked out of a jam in the ninth inning, and the Binghamton baseball team defeated top-seeded Maine, 4-0, at University of Rhode Island’s Bill Beck Field to capture the 2013 America East title on Sunday afternoon.

The Bearcats, who hadn’t won the double-elimination tournament since 2009, will represent the conference in the 2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

After senior pitcher Jake Lambert tossed eight scoreless innings, No. 2 seed Binghamton carried a 4-0 lead into the ninth inning. Freshman Jake Cryts relieved Lambert but walked the first two Black Bears he faced.

BU head coach Tim Sinicki summoned Urbanski, who induced a pop out, a strikeout and a fly out to end the game.

The Bearcats plated the only run they would need in the first inning, as junior second baseman Daniel Nevares singled in sophomore right fielder Zach Blanden. Nevares finished 2-for-5 with a game-high two RBIs, while junior designated hitter Shaun McGraw and sophomore catcher Nick Pancerella each drove in a run.

Lambert, who fired a complete game shutout in Wednesday’s tournament opener, scattered five hits and a walk while fanning seven.

Binghamton defeated No. 3 seed Albany, 9-0, at LeLaucher Park in Lowell, Mass., in its tournament opener to advance in the winner’s bracket. After beating Maine, 10-2, on Friday afternoon, the Bearcats held the advantageous position in the double-elimination tournament, needing just one more victory to capture the title.

Maine, which eliminated No. 4 seed Stony Brook on Friday afternoon, forced a winner-take-all championship game, however, with a 6-1 defeat of Binghamton on Friday night.

The NCAA will announce the field of 64 teams Monday at noon on ESPNU.