Photo provided Senior Jake Katz took sole possession of second place on Binghamton?s all-time list of top-10 finishes with a runner-up performance at the Rutherford Intercollegiate.

The Binghamton University golf team earned a sixth-place finish at the Rutherford Intercollegiate this weekend, registering a 54-hole total of 906.

The tournament, a 16-team competition hosted by Penn State University, was played at the University’s 7,202-yard par-71 Blue Course. The host squad delivered a masterful performance, capturing both the team and individual titles.

Rainy conditions led to an opening day cancellation, and players took to the course on Saturday for a two-round, 36-hole outing before Sunday’s final round. It was the first time this season Binghamton’s golfers played 36 holes in one day.

The Bearcats, represented by seniors Jake Katz and Mike Lemp, junior Mike Surdey, sophomore David Cellura and freshman Bryce Edmister, finished 54 strokes over par as a team. The team’s 906 stroke 54-hole total ranked only one stroke behind fifth-place University of Delaware.

“Staying focused on every shot for 18 holes is difficult,” Lemp said. “But keeping that focus for 36 holes is really a challenge.”

Binghamton was led by Katz, who posted rounds of 72-73-72 to finish four strokes over par. Katz, who consistently finishes atop the Bearcat scorecard, finished the weekend only one stroke behind Penn State senior T.J. Howe for medalist honors. The runner-up performance was the 10th of his career.

After entering the final round sitting in fourth place, Katz was in striking distance of his fifth career individual title. After two early bogeys, a booming drive on the 518-yard par-5 ninth led to an eagle, and with two bogeys and a birdie on the back-nine, Katz finished with a 1-over-par 72.

“He was hitting the ball so well today that a 68 wasn’t out of the question,” BU head coach Bernie Herceg said, according to a Binghamton University press release. “He’s such a great competitor for our team and he’s so consistent.”

Churning out brilliant performances one after the other has helped establish Katz as a nationally ranked golfer, but his solid outings have also allowed his teammates to thrive off his success.

“Jake Katz is a great player and seeing him contend every week makes you want to be a better player,” Lemp said.

In the individual portion of the event, Lemp placed 23rd, posting rounds of 74-80-73. His performance was BU’s second-best 54-hole total at the tournament, finishing behind only Katz.

“I didn’t hit the ball particularly well all weekend, but my chipping and putting was studly,” he said. “This weekend was great for my confidence and gets me going in the right direction for the last two tournaments of my college career.”

David Cellura, who posted rounds of 79-76-75, finished 33rd, while Mike Surdey’s 76-82-73 performance landed him a 40th-place finish.

The Bearcats are set to travel to Raleigh, N.C. on Saturday for the two-day Wolfpack Spring Open hosted by North Carolina State University. The Open will be played at the 7,358-yard par-71 Lonnie Poole Golf Course. Action is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m.