To kick off the spring season, the Binghamton softball team traveled to Georgia to compete in the Bash in the Boro tournament. Over the three days of competition, the Bearcats played five games and went 3-2.

“I was really happy with how the girls did,” said Binghamton head coach Jessica Bump. “Obviously the first weekend out, we had some jitters, but we really focused, we competed every game and I was really happy to come out of there with three wins.”

On Friday, the Bearcats (3-2) competed in a doubleheader against Radford (2-2) and Georgia Southern (2-1). BU took the first game by a score of 3-2. Sophomore pitcher Allison L’Amoreaux started the game on the mound and was credited with the win. The sophomore pitched five innings and drove in the first run of the game with an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning.

“When the lights are on, [L’Amoreaux] shows up, on the mound, at the plate, she is just a competitor,” Bump said. “I was really proud of how she came out this weekend and showed everybody what she’s made of.”

In its second matchup of the day, BU fell 7-4 to Georgia Southern. The Bearcats got out to a 3-0 lead early on thanks to a L’Amoreaux solo homerun and RBIs from redshirt junior outfielder Chloe Morgan and senior infielder Marissa Braito. However, the Eagles rallied in the bottom of the fifth inning due to two home runs, including one grand slam. Georgia Southern put up six runs to take the lead. Binghamton was unable to cut into the deficit, going scoreless in the final two innings. Redshirt freshman utility Lindsey Walter was credited for the loss.

The following day, the Bearcats took on another doubleheader where they faced Georgia Southern and East Tennessee State (1-4). BU took both games, beating Georgia Southern 5-1 and East Tennessee State 9-1. L’Amoreaux took the mound against Georgia Southern to get her second win of the season. Graduate student pitcher Chelsea Howard got the start facing the Bucs and allowed only one run in five innings pitched. Binghamton filled the stat sheet offensively throughout the two games on Saturday after senior third baseman Alli Richmond ended the day with a home run and three RBIs while batting 2-for-5. Sophomore catcher Hailey Ehlers added to Richmond’s output going 3-for-6 and adding two RBIs in the process.

“Everyone contributed this weekend in some way,” Bump said. “We talk about using everyone’s strengths, and when we do that and everyone embraces their role for that game, we’re always gonna have good results.”

In its final game of the weekend, BU played East Tennessee state again on Sunday morning. The Bearcats were unable to keep up with the Bucs offensively and were ultimately defeated by a score of 8-3. L’Amoreaux picked up her first loss of the season giving up three earned runs in her four innings pitched. Freshman outfielder Alayna Harbaugh was perfect at the plate going 4-for-4.

“I think they just trusted our training that we’ve done since September,” Bump said. “All their hard work over the last six months really showed this weekend.”

Across the five games played, the Bearcats’ batting average was .333. L’Amoreaux led the team in home runs with three and RBIs with five. Bump said the team will look to gain consistency all-around as the season progresses.

“We came out swinging the bats this weekend,” Bump said. “We had 10 hits in two games, had a lot of extra base hits, four home-runs … So, I was really proud of the girls, and I think it’s a really good weekend to build off of going into next weekend.”

Although BU had success over the weekend, Bump knows there is still room to improve and get better.

“First weekend out on the dirt, we always have some mistakes,” Bump said. “The games we lost were definitely just because we gave the other teams extra opportunities.”

The Bearcats return to the field next weekend at the College of Charleston Tournament. First game is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 18 at noon at the Patriots Point Athletics Complex in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina.