Sasa Sucic/Staff Photographer Ruben Devos and the men’s tennis team fell to Ole Miss in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday. BU has never advanced past the first round.

After winning its fifth consecutive America East crown and eighth in the last 10 years, history continued to repeat itself for the Binghamton University men’s tennis team, but not the good kind.

The Bearcats were swept in the NCAA tournament’s first round for the seventh time during that time span. The University of Mississippi, the No. 13-ranked host, defeated Binghamton 4-0. The Rebels also swept the Bearcats in the first round in 2004.

The doubles matches took the court first, and Ole Miss captured points at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The junior duo of Ruben Devos and Bastian Bornkessel trailed 8-7 at No. 1 doubles, but couldn’t complete the match because the Rebels had already won at No. 2 and No. 3.

No other Bearcat tandem or individual came as close to defeating the opposition.

After the doubles matches were played outdoors, rain relegated the singles matches to the indoor Gillom Sports Center.

In his final appearance with the Bearcats, senior Alexandre Haggai lost at No. 1 singles and No. 2 doubles, where he was paired with freshman Ismael Dinia. The 2012 America East Player of the Year put up a decent fight against No. 14 Nik Scholtz, but he ultimately fell short (6-4, 6-3).

Devos also grabbed the first set from No. 20 Marcel Thiemann at No. 2 singles but dropped the following two (6-2, 6-2) to lose the match. Devos’ defeat clinched the win for the Rebels, who earned a Mother’s Day date with the University of Michigan.

Limited court space after the transition indoors prevented freshman Florian van Kann from playing. Though van Kann plays at No. 6 singles, he had won eight of his nine matches leading up to the NCAA tournament.

The Bearcats will look to return to the NCAA tournament in 2013, but they will do so without Haggai and three others.