I grew up in a home where open discussions in a forum style were the norm; my parents created an environment where my brother and I, from an early age, were welcome and encouraged to participate. My dad was a lawyer so it felt very natural to talk about issues of social justice and morals. In this sense, I have been very lucky. Open dialogues have always been something that was normal and felt natural to me; however, different individuals have had different experiences, and not all feel the same way.

I have recently begun to realize how much goes unsaid through forms of censorship, social discomfort and prejudice. When naturally stimulated, important conversations are blocked, and an issue arises: ignorance grows, while the issues remain silenced.

Part of the reason why this has occurred is due to confusion. It is an increasingly common belief that in order to have a conversation on a charged topic — such as reverse racism — one must be an expert in that field. That is simply not true. Finding and speaking to experts can occur later as a building block, but what is necessary first is to begin these conversations with one’s own experiences and knowledge at hand. Otherwise, these conversations will never be present.

Another block in the way of open discussions is personal discomfort. This is where trigger warnings come into play; they are used as a form of censorship over the information that one person cannot control. If one suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, and will literally be triggered into a flashback, that is different. However, most trigger warnings are unnecessary. An individual can refuse to participate in a conversation if it is too overwhelming for them, but the dialogue altogether needs to continue to exist. I am not trying to be insensitive to personal feelings, but instead, open up a forum for different beliefs. You think that reverse racism exists and another person does not agree? Let’s talk about it, rather than becoming personally offended at the difference in viewpoints.

We have the necessary means and the resources to stimulate these conversations here at Binghamton University: discussion-style classes, student organizations, various publications — including Pipe Dream — and a wide community of people with diverse backgrounds. The potential is present to have conversations that have long been neglected. Differing viewpoints are what make our campus so unique and special. We are a SUNY school, but different parts of New York state have different cultures. The families that we were raised in may look different and act differently from one another, and this is a great asset. We have the necessary materials and participants to start a conversation that is engaging for all parties by allowing all to explain their own opinions.

Often, there are not spaces to have dialogues. Nonjudgmental spaces are limited and, depending on the audience, many may feel uncomfortable. In addition, the high presence of trigger warnings can serve as a block on conversations if topics altogether are avoided in fear of offense. The excuses can be plentiful: we don’t have time, we are too tired, there is too much other stuff going on. Does it really matter? It does; through the opening of viewpoints, we can create a culturally aware society. We must create these spaces to talk about the issues that matter to us.

Right now, important dialogues are being presented due to the election season. However, this needs to continue long past January. Opening up a place for conversation will make all of us feel more accepted in their views being held as respected, and will allow for a growth in knowledge as we are exposed to many viewpoints that we may not have realized on our own.

Kara Bilello is a sophomore majoring in English.