On Sunday, the global animal conservation community had good cause for celebration when the giant panda’s status was officially downgraded from “endangered” to “vulnerable.” The International Union for Conservation of Nature announced the reclassification as a result of a 2014 census revealing that 1,864 pandas lived in the wild in China — a 17 percent rise in population during the decade preceding 2014.

The giant panda has been subject of decades of conservation efforts, which include millions of dollars spent, numerous campaigns that capture public attention, and intensive scientific studies and research. As a result, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s data, 268 pandas were added to China’s habitats since 2004.

This news cycle will likely bring a pandemonium — no pun intended — of articles, reports and stories praising China and international conservation organizations. Yet while many may applaud this significant increase, skeptics will undoubtedly assert that this endeavor was a massive waste of resources. Could the time, money and effort have been better spent on other environmental or humanitarian issues? Why put so much energy into protecting one species, when there are thousands of other species at risk of extinction?

The answer to these questions is not black or white — pun intended — because it is far from clear what the best actions are to take in order to conserve our environment. Living on the opposite side of the planet, it is easy to dismiss this victory as a largely symbolic, yet insignificant one. However, the protection of the great panda is important, even to college students in upstate New York, for reasons you may not realize.

The panda has been a symbol of environmental movements for decades, drawing attention to its causes. One of the planet’s most prominent environmental groups, the World Wildlife Fund, has had a panda as its logo since 1961. The animal is also a meaningful symbol in Chinese culture. The animal’s cultural and symbolic significance, as well as its cuteness, have made it a flagship species for conservation and preservation efforts.

Yes, this news may seem far away, but the fact that you’re reading this article — or one of the many articles scattering national media outlets — underscores the importance of the panda as an environmentalist symbol. Yet there are still those who say that these bears are given unfair limelight, as their practical value does not match up to their symbolic one.

From a practical standpoint, pandas play a crucial role in their ecosystems and their conservation can have positive effects on many other species. They act as a natural carrier of bamboo seeds, helping to ensure the growth of China’s bamboo forests. When preserves are created to help achieve these high-profile conservation goals, this provides protection to all the other flora and fauna in those regions, which often contain other endangered or vulnerable species. Furthermore, the conservation of panda habitats benefits the humans who use the land’s watershed and other resources.

If nothing else, this high-profile environmental victory provides a glimpse of hope in a world that is far too often barraged by pessimistic news surrounding the environment and human affairs. It shows that a country like China, which has historically been one of the world’s largest producers of pollution and environmental degradation, can find success in remediating environmental wrongdoings.

So, before you dismiss this story or give into the words of panda-extinction apologists, take a minute to appreciate its significance. It is a small, yet powerful step in a larger environmental battle that increasingly affects us all.

Caleb Schwartz is a sophomore double-majoring in environmental studies and political science.