Somehow, and I don’t know how I got here, but it is the beginning of the end. Actually, it’s not THE beginning of THE end, but more of A beginning of AN end. My college career is slowly waning down a metaphorical road, where a black sign with orange LED lights displays the message, “What do you want to do after college?”

The thing is … I’m not 100 percent sure.

Think of it this way: elementary school through high school was, in a way, mandatory. We didn’t live over an hour from our schools. We knew most of your classmates from our interactions with each other over the years. College presented a challenge because it expanded our horizons, both outside of our personal and private comfort zones.

We moved hours away from home, in most cases. We met people who we are, in a way, privileged to see for about eight months out of the year, depending on how far our respective homes are from theirs. Think of the new best friend you might make each semester or the bosom buddy you’ve shared numerous experiences with over the past few years. These are some of the people who make your college experience what it is.

We shared rooming and bathrooms with new people, sat in classes of hundreds, paid through the nose for books and devoured dining hall cuisine that is somewhat passable for homemade food, experiencing the communal aspect of college, new to incoming first-year students.

We registered for and took classes that challenged us, some by changing our method of writing and others by changing our way of looking at local, national and international problems. There were the classes you needed to take, the ones you took as long as they completed requirements, the fluff classes, the engaging and worthwhile classes and the classes that drove you insane on a weekly basis.

As for the path you take after these shared experiences end and college concludes, it is everyone’s personal decision, one that they shouldn’t feel pressured into making hastily. Do I have a set job in mind? Not really. With an English degree, I can do just about anything, but my interests lie in writing of some form, be it news media, entertainment, public relations or something similar.

Yes, there is the teaching option, but the main bump or detour on that road is grad school, which I’m not sure is something to which I want to submit or subject myself. See, at the time of my graduation 10 months from now, I’ll have been in school for 17 years of my life. Do I really want to be in school for possibly another four years? Not really.

But at times, I would really want to be that teacher that inspires students to go above and beyond and explore their interests, setting forth an expansive and intriguing curriculum. I can think back to my now faint, grade school memories and recall the teachers who really made learning an excitement with field trips, class activities, zany antics and very choice reading lists galore.

And yes, there is the option of moving out and getting a job. Or I could wait to move out, job hunt from home and figure things out as the metaphorical “road work,” “detour” or “speed change” signs pop up one at a time.

Maybe I’m just getting ahead of myself. I still have most of the year to make up my mind and choose my path. Let’s see where the semester takes me.