This past Sunday, I did something I rarely do. I watched the Grammys. Yes, I’ll admit that I’m not incredibly tuned in to modern pop music, but I did recognize some names, like the ever-so-popular Lady Gaga, the white misogynist rapper Eminem and the screaming-tweens’ heartthrob Justin Bieber.

The inner (and more-so outer) indie fan in me recognized groups like The Black Keys and Vampire Weekend, not to mention the group that has been on everyone’s mind since the Grammys ended on Sunday: Arcade Fire.

Since late Sunday evening, a fair amount of the Grammy-related chatter has been about who Arcade Fire is. Sure, the younger crowd at the Grammys who listens to top 40 and only top 40 might not know about Arcade Fire or The Black Keys or Vampire Weekend, but seriously, there’s more out there than top 40 pop or dance music. But for your sake, I’ll just run down some of the big nominees and winners if you’ve been living under a rock or in a padded room or in a sensory deprivation chamber.

Eminem is a white rapper from Detroit who curses rather frequently in his songs and is misogynistic from time to time. And yes, there are white rappers, but they’re a rare breed.

Lady Gaga, or the artist formerly known as Stefani Germanotta, hails from New York City and is known for her outrageous outfits and her out-there music videos. But at least her songs are danceable, even if there’s a personal message wrapped up in the lyrics. Meat dresses and disco stick rides, anyone?

Katy Perry was brought up in Santa Barbara, Calif. by Christian pastor parents with a wholesome background. She now flaunts herself with her catchy, promiscuous pop songs and music videos. Oh, and she is married to the British comedian and actor Russell Brand. Anyone for whipped cream and candy canes while running around Sesame Street with Elmo?

Lady Antebellum is a country group from Nashville, Tenn., who garnered some spotlight attention after being featured and winning awards in the 51st and 52nd Grammys. And despite the country genre’s bad rap, I rather like their sound.

Justin Bieber is a teen pop sensation from Ontario, Canada, who was discovered through songs he posted on YouTube. Now, he’s the object of desire to millions, if not tens of millions, of teen and tween girls who seem to get inflamed rather easily when their husband-to-be is dissed or snubbed. Maybe it’s his trademark hair. Or perhaps it’s the auto-tuning. Just wait a year or two and then we’ll see how his singing sounds.

The Black Keys is a blues-rock duo from Akron, Ohio, celebrating its 10th year as a group. “Brothers,” its sixth album, was the first of their catalog to be nominated for a Grammy; it won Best Alternative Album, along with two other awards.

Vampire Weekend is an indie rock quartet with a distinct summery sound. It hails from New York City and its second album “Contra” was in the running for Best Alternative Album.

And lastly, Arcade Fire is an indie rock group out of Montreal, Quebec. They hit the scene in 2004 with “Funeral.” It was followed by “Neon Bible” in 2007 and “The Suburbs” last August. All the albums were nominated for the Best Alternative Album Grammy. And the song “Wake Up” from “Funeral” was featured in the trailers for the movie “Where the Wild Things Are.”

You’re welcome! Have fun listening!