My college career is pretty much over.

I am exactly two finals and one paper away from graduating and let me tell you, being so close to the end has prompted some long hours of reflection on the past four years. Overall, I’m happy with my experiences in Binghamton, and I will surely be sad to say goodbye to this place — a place at which I have passed out, night after night, for the past four years.

With that being said, yes, I am fully aware that everybody writes a final piece about their college experiences and yes, I am well aware that many of those people choose to impart their words of “wisdom” to readers through a list of suggestions or rules for enjoying college. Being aware of that, however, will not deter me from doing the same thing, as my opinion is (obviously) far more worthy of your time and attention.

Now that my unpleasant self-justification is out of the way, I present to you my top 10 suggestions for attaining success in college. (These are all things that I have learned from college, not necessarily things I have practiced.)

1. Go to class!

Many of you who know me will undoubtedly be messing yourselves from laughter at this, but I am serious. The more you go to class, the more information you will — consciously or unconsciously — absorb, and the more your professor will know your face and who you are.

2. Get to know your professors!

A professor who knows who you are, or at the very least, recognizes your face from consistently coming to class, will be much more likely to show you leniency when you fuck up than a professor who has no clue who the hell you are. Professors who know you well can be a great resource when it comes to asking for letters of recommendation or if you want to find teaching assistant or research positions.

3. Be as involved as you can!

Face it. Sitting in your room all day or smoking and drinking with your friends are fine things to do every now and then, but that’s really no way to go through college or life. Join clubs and sports teams. Pledge a fraternity or sorority. Hell, you can even just get a job. The more things you do, the more people you will meet, and the more you will enjoy your four years.

4. Stop sitting on your fat ass!

Though it sounds similar to No. 3, this piece of advice is really all about staying healthy and physically active. Go running or walking, take some gym classes. The more you stay in shape now, the more likely you will continue the trend after college, and the less likely you are to put on the Freshman — and sophomore and junior — 15.

5. Stay groomed!

Sounds easy enough, but there are too many people who walk around this campus forgetting that even though mom and dad are gone, the basic principles of personal hygiene still apply. A bright kid I used to live next to once said, “Always dress and present yourself like there is someone you are trying to impress.”

6. Explore new places to eat!

For some strange reason, Binghamton is a treasure trove of good places to eat. Don’t try and figure out why, just enjoy it.

7. Be nice to cops…

And they will be nice to you.

8. Avoid relationship advice from single people!

Nobody knows your situation better than you. Are you really going to take advice on relationships from someone who cannot even get one himself? As a friend of mine recently told his friends when they made fun of him for not going Downtown because of his girlfriend, “Have fun getting drunk and unsuccessfully hitting on chicks. I’m going to go have sex.”

9. Don’t judge!

Seriously, just enjoy yourself. You’re not actually accomplishing anything by looking down at other peoples’ habits or actions. We’ve all done stupid shit that we regret, and if you haven’t, then maybe you should be examining your own lifestyle and habits instead of others’.

10. Learn how to drink responsibly!

For a lot of people, college is all about alcohol, but that doesn’t mean you should keep pushing the bar to see how much you can drink. Actions do have consequences, and whether it’s in college or further down the road, not knowing how to handle yourself around alcohol will definitely lead to bad news.