Recently, city tourism business NYC & Company named America’s pop princess Taylor Swift as New York City’s “global welcome ambassador.” The controversial decision was met with both praise and outrage. As a Queens native, I initially took personal offense to this appointment. In my view, Swift had as much right to represent New York City as did the Queen of Scotland.

But then I asked myself: What really disqualifies Taylor Swift to be the ambassador of our great city? As “global welcome ambassador,” Swift’s job is to support the city’s tourism industry, not necessarily represent New York City locals as a whole. People aren’t coming to New York because of Swift, but her magnetic personality is a face by which many tourists are enticed.

Swift embodies the altruistic and brotherly nature of New York far better than some of her native New York counterparts. Swift recently donated all of the proceeds from her hit song, “Welcome to New York” to New York City public schools. That is more that can be said about Jay-Z and Jennifer Lopez, who only pull the “native” card when it’s convenient for them. Their fame and fortune divorced them from their modest outer-borough roots, even though they insist that they’re still “from the block.” Swift is more impressive than these self-proclaimed natives. In less than a year, she’s become so enamored with the city that she feels compelled to give back. And she shouldn’t be faulted for that.

The choice of Swift as “ambassador” disrupts the prevalent stereotype that New Yorkers are unfriendly. Many outsiders assume that New Yorkers are tough as nails. A fresh face like Swift’s may ameliorate the unjustified stigma surrounding callous New Yorkers. New Yorkers may masquerade their true feelings by walking briskly or avoiding eye contact, but the genuine concern New Yorkers have for one another is unparalleled by residents of other cities. The unity that was shown during 9/11 and the months that followed is just a testament to the resilience and sense of brotherhood that New Yorkers share. Swift demonstrates a genuine concern and pride for a city she wasn’t raised in, aligning with New York values.

New York is not an exclusive club requiring a minimum residential period to be considered “authentic.” Many people insist that the people who most embody New York are not natives. People who take the A train to work or buy Halal food from the cart on 53rd and 6th, absorb some of the city’s character. Gradually, we all become New Yorkers. It doesn’t matter that Swift lives in a million-dollar penthouse. Her hard work and industrial spirit, key New York values, propelled her toward success.

Swift still has a lot to learn about her new home. This knowledge, which is usually accrued over a lifetime for native New Yorkers, will eventually come to Swift and to all else who come to the city of dreams. As people assimilate into the bustling, industrialized culture, they in turn contribute a bit of themselves to the Big Apple. It’s not an accent that defines New Yorkers, nor a series of unique colloquialisms. Rather, it is our pride and gratitude to be living in the greatest city in the world.