Last week, a group of Binghamton University students gathered outside of the Polish Community Center to protest State Senator Tom Libous’ refusal to participate in an on-campus debate with his Democratic opponent Anndrea Starzak. As Libous exited the community center, he told the protesters to remember everything he’s done for the University during his tenure as state senator: “You wouldn’t have the Events Center. You wouldn’t have the athletic fields, just thought I’d share that with you.”

This is not servant leadership. Binghamton University students cannot be bought off with improvements to our school grounds. To assume so is an insult to our intelligence and character. Libous may want a pat on the back for securing millions of dollars in funding for our Events Center, the Decker School of Nursing, the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Innovative Technologies Complex, but it’s not our responsibility as constituents to show gratitude for projects. As constituents, we have a right to continued engagement and progress.

It’s not surprising that Libous jumps at the chance to get a photo op with President Harvey Stenger one week and meets concerned students with a patronizing tone the next. To his credit, Libous partners with the administration to expand and improve the University as a whole. To his discredit, Libous doesn’t act on the issues Binghamton students care about.

On two occasions, in 2009 and 2011, Libous voted against marriage equality. Though BU is home to students on all ends of the political spectrum, few social issues unite young people like support for gay marriage.

Tom Libous supports hydraulic fracturing and voted against proposed bans on the environmentally damaging technology. Libous argued that we should rely on the recommendations of scientific experts rather than make a political decision on the future of the technology within New York state. It’s the job of political representatives to consult scientific experts and make informed policy decisions based on the data gathered. If hydraulic fracturing were legalized in New York, Binghamton students would be directly affected as the Southern Tier contains rich natural gas deposits. Given the disastrous effects of legalization in neighboring Pennsylvania, Libous’ willingness to support hydraulic fracturing demonstrates he does not hold the interests of Binghamton students in high esteem.

Libous is quick to provide kickbacks beyond Binghamton University. Libous is indicted on corruption charges, accused of securing a job for his son in exchange for sending business to the law firm Santangelo, Randazzo & Mangone. He is also indicted for lying to the FBI. This summer, the FBI raided Libous’ home and confiscated his records. If the allegations are true, such conduct explains his willingness to harken back to his past accomplishments as justification for student support.

Today is election day. The results will determine if Tom Libous represents New York’s 52nd district for yet another term. Before the outcome is made public, let’s send a message to Sen. Libous: Thanks, but no thanks. Thank you for all that you’ve done for our University. No thank you for your policy decisions and condescension.