On a daily basis, we humans put ourselves out in the world to be judged by the clothes we wear, the type of music we like and the way we speak. Unfortunately, the general public has no obligation to be respectful or appreciative of anyone in any way. The world is harsh and people are critical by nature.

And the work force is no different. In fact, the judgment there is only exacerbated.

A lot of time and effort goes into a job application. There is the résumé, the cover letter, the actual job-specific application and any additional requirements. Your whole life is on an application, everything you’ve ever worked for. A lot is on the line to be judged.

I can certainly say for myself, hitting the submit button is frightening, especially knowing that my potential future employers, the ones I so badly want to impress and work for, are scrutinizing every last detail of my life accomplishments.

The anxiety to follow is unequivocal: I either get the job and celebrate, or don’t get the job and mask my disappointment for a while until it’s time to start all over again. At least in this economy, I can expect and prepare for the worst.

But what I cannot prepare for is the unknown. No response at all is worse than rejection.

Unlike the boundless and unpredictable universe, work places do have, or at least should have, proper etiquette, which employers and their employees alike must follow.

Certain attire and language is deemed inappropriate, and most importantly, there is an obligation that everyone be treated with respect. However, over the last few months, I feel that I have not been treated with the proper respect I would otherwise expect.

Many colleges, including Binghamton University, have a Federal Work Study program, which offers students who fit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) profile jobs on campus throughout the school year. Binghamton’s own program uses a website known as E-Recruiting. On this website, jobs are posted so students can apply as they become available.

Since last August, I have applied for about 25 Federal Work Study jobs. I thoroughly filled out the necessary application for each position and sent a professional email to each employer. I waited anxiously for responses and received none.

For an employer not to respond to an interested employee, when he or she has taken the time to apply, is rude and disrespectful. What type of message is that sending to our own future businessmen and women? Of course, people are busy and that’s understandable. But it is a matter of courtesy.

I am certain that it would not take more than 30 seconds to respond and kindly apologize for the rejection. It’s just the right thing to do.

I feel employers have a duty to respond, especially with Federal Work Study jobs. Many students here have taken out their own loans and need to earn their own money to pay them back. At the very least, they should be aware of the status of their applications. As I have always been told, work is a place of respect and responsibility, and Binghamton’s employers have shown neither.