There is a negative social stigma surrounding the use of lube in the bedroom. The popular stereotype is that only gay men and old ladies need lube to get jiggy, but everyone could use a healthy amount of lube to spice up their sex life. Maybe you’re a gay man or a lesbian experimenting with sex toys. Maybe you’re a young heterosexual couple who’s had a few too many beers and now that vagina just doesn’t want to get wet enough for penetration. Don’t sweat it; there is a lube for every occasion.

Whether you’re getting your lube from the little packets that Rainbow Pride Union hands out at University Fest or you’re at Walmart purchasing lube at wholesale prices, there are a few things you should know before you’re ready for this jelly. For starters, try to only use water-based lubricants. Oil-based lubricants are not good for your lady friend in between the legs and they don’t play nice with condoms or toys made from latex. Since I hope you’re all planning to have safe sex, regardless if this is a committed relationship or a hookup, you don’t want your lube degrading your latex condom. Unless you’re looking for a baby daddy; in which case, go nuts.

If you’re considering trying anal, a silicone-based lubricant is ideal. Silicone doesn’t react with condoms and, unlike water-based lubes, it won’t get absorbed into the skin. This means that it will last longer and for an anal adventure, which isn’t always as simple as vaginal penetration, you really want your lube to last. The only real downside to a silicone-based lube is that it can be a little messy and hard to clean up. It’s a persistent substance with a high chance of staining your clothes. Clothes are everything, so if you want to continue exploring your partner’s back door, be careful.

Now for those latex dildos or strap-ons you have hidden in your drawer, a water-based lube is your new best friend, well, besides that dildo. The lube is crucial for maximum enjoyment from your favorite sex toys. Latex isn’t exactly the most erotic material, but with just a bit of lube, it can be!

All men should be considering adding lube to their grocery lists, right next to condoms. Even if your crippling social anxiety or creepy demeanor prevent you from maintaining a relationship beyond a five-minute conversation in the back of The Rat, you and your hand can benefit from a little lube. Vaseline is so three decades ago when it comes to masturbation, gentlemen. A nice water-based lube is perfect for a good genital massage after a long day of classes, and an even longer stay on State Street looking for your Tinderella, who just never comes.

Lube is underrated, inexpensive and it can lighten up any night. If you like it to be quick and in the missionary position, lube. If you’re kinky and want to use a strap-on to bone your boyfriend, lube. Add some grease to the rails and let it rip!