Let’s be honest — a vast number of people have stigmas regarding plastic surgery.

When a celebrity undergoes a noteworthy plastic surgery procedure, it’s practically always given a negative spin in the media. Never have I read a single article in which the reporter describes the result as stunning. While I admit that a lot of starlets also aren’t very smart about these surgeries, the way it’s covered isn’t smart either.

For example, Heidi Pratt got 10 plastic procedures done in one day, then revealed the details to People magazine. The title of the article was “Obsessed with being ‘Perfect,'” which already implies dissatisfaction with the way she looks post-surgery, accompanied with the large before and after pictures on either side of the page.

Much of the writing focused on her new appearance, rather than how insanely dangerous it was for her to undergo 10 procedures in such a short period of time.

That said, people who choose to undergo plastic surgery, fully aware of the difficulties and repercussions, should not necessarily be criticized for doing something that makes them happy. Not everyone is born looking the way they want, and given the opportunity, they should be able to change that without having to feel the sting of societal pressures.

Take for example, breast augmentations and reductions. Most people who are interested in women seem to have preferences on breast size and shape, and some may even not be interested if a woman’s breasts aren’t up to snuff. For women, that is an injustice.

Some women are born with breasts that are too large and they need a reduction because of physical consequences. On the other side of the coin, women may feel insecure and may want a larger chest to, say, make them feel more womanly. They should have the ability to make themselves happy without worrying about the opinions of others.

To be perfectly blunt, I’ve had cosmetic surgery, and I can finally say I am confident enough to be proud of that decision. Without going into extreme detail, I had deposits of fat on my chest that I was uncomfortable with, and I had always thought it had been a result of my diet and exercise. When I went to a doctor, however, I found that was not the case. In fact, it had been sheer coincidence and was merely the way I developed.

I had been made fun of every year by complete strangers for something I could not control, and I could either accept that or I could try to change it. So, I made the decision to get surgery. Afterward, I was insecure and didn’t want others to know, but now I’m proud of my decision because it made me more confident in myself.

Even if I don’t agree with how society views some plastic surgeries, I don’t think that public opinion will change anytime soon. I wouldn’t wish insecurities on anyone, and if you have exhausted all non-invasive options and you are sure of the procedure’s safety, should your choice be plastic surgery, be confident in that.

Whether your body is the one you were born with or the best body that money can buy, be proud of it. You’re the one who has to live with it.