As a creative writing major (or, as Pipe Dream’s style guide would have me call it, a senior majoring in creative writing) and as this newspaper’s copy desk chief, I’ve read a lot of writing by students here at Binghamton University. In fiction workshops, I’ve gotten to know some of the most passionate, creative and strange people at this University — thanks for letting me read your work and for never judging mine. I’ve also had the pleasure of reading and copy editing every article written in Pipe Dream this year. After a year of editing everything from the always-debated Oxford comma to larger issues, I can safely say that Pipe Dream is the place that taught me the importance of both the big picture and the small details during my time at BU.

Big picture: I went Downtown, a lot — and sober.

Small details: I fell asleep at all my friends’ house parties (Lucas: We’ll always have Post-its. Vlad: Thanks for the bed). I almost got peed on at Delta Chi freshman year. I ran away from a cab driver once, then felt bad and ran back to pay him. I learned that being allergic to alcohol doesn’t mean you can’t get really contact drunk at Tom & Marty’s, and maybe have more fun doing it. (Probably not more fun.)

Big picture: I (barely) studied abroad in London for a semester.

Small details: I visited every independent bookstore in my neighborhood. I saw James McAvoy play Macbeth in tights. I ordered Cokes with limes in pubs across the United Kingdom. I ate 37 scoops of gelato on spring break in Italy (sorry, Raves, but I won that eating contest). I learned that traveling to another continent didn’t make me love Binghamton any less.

Big picture: I wrote a pretentious-sounding honors thesis.

Small details: I worked with professor Alexi Zentner on a portfolio of short stories about race and beauty in America. I read a ton of cool novels and got to rave and complain about them without judgment in his office every other Tuesday. Thanks to Alexi, the fabulous Marissa Schwalm and three years of intense workshops, I’ve learned that writing is my most cathartic endeavor — one that has the ability to create change.

Big picture: I lived in University Plaza.

Small details: I had to bribe friends to visit with Cold Stone and Chipotle. I’ve had the same roommate for all of college, and I still thank the housing gods for my Danish. Over the course of this year, my apartment mates have locked me in my room using furniture, mocked me endlessly for my manipulative “baby voice” and asked me to please stop taking naps in their beds. I learned that where you live doesn’t really matter; it’s the people — the characters — you live with who make college as interesting as any story.

I’ve read a lot of both fiction and fact during my time at BU. And I’ve learned that there’s something rewarding about seeing the big picture and finding the small details in every story, article and experience.