Swipe left for no, swipe right for yes. The instructions for using the casual dating app Tinder are simple enough. But what about Tinder’s implications? Many have claimed that the college hook-up culture has killed any amount of romance in dating. Tinder has diminished even the small amount of dignity that the hook-up culture of the past maintained.

For those who are not familiar with Tinder, the app asks you to put in both your gender and the gender in which you’re interested. You can then adjust the settings for age range and distance. From then on you are shown a never-ending slideshow of images that fit your settings. You see the images the person chose to have on his or her profile, as well as a brief bio the person wrote. The only other information you can see are mutual Facebook friends and Facebook “likes” as shared interests. If you both swipe right, indicating you’re interested, then you match.

Here’s the catch: You only see who “liked” you if you like them back, and vice versa. So, the cute boy you always see in Chenango Champlain Collegiate Center but would never talk to because he’s way out of your league? Swipe right and see what happens. This seemingly invincible way to approach strangers, or crushes, leads to a new form of hook-up culture.

After you match, you can then message the person. Get to know them beyond the 500 characters you saw before. This aspect of Tinder seems innocent enough, and even kind of pleasant. You’re actually getting to know the person rather than solely relying on the superficial decision to swipe right, which is based on the person’s eye color or body type.

I can guarantee that nine out of 10 of the seemingly innocent messages turn into some sick, perverted pick-up line. Although amusing — my personal favorite being “Are you from heaven because I have an erection” — these unusual and very sexual messages are sent because of the anonymity derived from the app. Just as many say cyberbullying heightens bullying because people feel more powerful due to the anonymity behind their computer, Tinder users have the same power from their phones.

I’m not saying the person you meet at JT’s at 1 a.m. on a Friday night is looking for a serious, romantic relationship. But at the same time, that person will be less likely to use some perverted pick-up line in person as they will be on Tinder.

Tinder eliminates even the last shred of dignity our generation had left within the college hook-up culture. Once again, we are utilizing technology to simplify and reduce face-to-face interactions. While Tinder is fun, addicting and practically harmless, it still is reducing any amount of romance left in the hook-up culture.