It has come to pass that history bestows upon every generation its very own generational moment — one that captures, describes and epitomizes the titans and times associated with every generation of Americans.

For our grandparents that moment was the “day which will live in infamy,” as President Roosevelt and the nation reacted in horror at the sight of our naval vessels and aircraft batteries being assaulted by the Imperial Japanese.

For our parents, their moment came with the erecting of the Berlin Wall and splitting of the world between East and West, free and slave as President Kennedy and his countrymen proclaimed themselves one with the fractured peoples of Europe.

For us, our moment came not one decade ago, during the brisk summer chill of a clear bright September morning as our nation’s iconic monuments of trade and commerce, defense and state were both struck on that fateful day which President Bush responded to by declaring a global war on terror.

With the passing of these moments in time, previous generations arose to confront, challenge and overcome them; the fate of their moments did not become the tragedy of their destinies. The blitz of Pearl Harbor was succeeded by the bombing of Tokyo. The descent of the Iron Curtain was followed by the crumbling of Berlin’s Wall.

For our parents and grandparents, the fight against America’s enemies, imperial fascists and Soviet communists, was sparked and defused by the beginning and end of a single event. Jubilation was had by all at the crowning moment of America’s victories; national catharsis was ours to enjoy when Nazi Germany’s Reich fell and Soviet Russia’s Evil Empire collapsed.

With the coming of the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 we are nearing the point in time when we must confront the pain of that moment which still remains seared within the memory of our collective psyche. The sight of collapsing towers, searing buildings and falling people remain a part of our generation’s development and experience and we must never forget them.

However, with remembrance should come understanding and with understanding, consummation must follow.

Failed states and broken hearts must not be the legacy of our generation’s defining moment. Those who attacked our nation one long decade ago did not do so from the stadium of Nuremburg or from the street of Red Square. No, the enemy who struck us before and seeks to do so again has no nation they swear allegiance to and no flag they call their own.

They reside in the corners of the world that go beyond the reach of civilization where life and time has stalled for centuries. Endless wars, ceaseless battles and enduring conflicts cannot be waged for the victory we want; there can be no peace in these efforts. The catharsis from revenge that we seek will not be ours to be had.

Osama bin Laden’s death did not avenge the passing of our citizens 10 long years ago, nor did his end bring finality to over a decade of war. Indeed, not long after his demise several of those very same soldiers who killed him perished themselves for a purpose in which there is increasingly no end in sight or peace to celebrate.

What defined the victory of the generations before ours was that they owned their moment, their moment did not own them. We cannot become the prisoners of our own moment. We can have peace in our time if we so choose. Peace from within and from without will come only when we beat our swords into ploughshares.

The Arab Spring points to the promise of peace for the people that pained us prior. Let them have theirs so that we may have ours.