President Barack Obama’s fourth State of the Union address acknowledged the inevitable growing trail of unfinished business, along with a series of proposals intending to fix the traffic lights that are failing to control traffic jams between the aisles of Congress.

The proposals were primarily responsive to emotionally driven issues, such as stiffening background checks for gun buyers, aiding immigration reform and increasing federal minimum wage.

However, the president’s approach took a different route this year. For the past three years, Obama was the 6-foot-1 forward who was continuously passing the ball to his congressional counterparts, only to have them trip on an untied shoelace or get pushed out of bounds. It was clear that Obama no longer wants to pass, but rather drive to the net and possibly take a foul on the way; Congress is no longer needed, he is prepared to score on his own.

The gun control issue continued to be welcomed by a series of mixed opinions, which could often be deduced by the organization of those standing and clapping as opposed to those sitting despotically.

The approach was clearly to “lead, follow or get out of the way.” The butting heads between divisions of government have further delayed the improvement of a series of policies, which should have been fully implemented in 2008. Now, the nation must improve those programs, while implementing those that are three years back-ordered.

President Obama also called on individual business owners to be accountable and raise the wages of their employers where they could. Although the proposal was received by a deepened hush from the Republicans, it would ensure many families and working individuals’ financial security, without having to follow a federal timeline that would lose a race to a snail.

“Give America a raise!” the president urged, while many right-winged opponents shrugged and rolled their eyes. By strengthening the job market and improving the federal minimum wage, economic growth would be inevitable so long as it is accompanied by workers spending their earnings in the United States. By pushing a vote on both plans, we will be able to sense if Republicans are so opposed to agreement that they are willing to sacrifice their own ideals.