All the time on campus, I hear derogatory comments about “townies.” People here seem to think that the locals have no teeth and are dirty, uneducated hicks. I spent the last five years living in Vestal before I started at Binghamton University, so I have the perspective of being a local and being a newcomer. Binghamton may not be the greatest town in the world, nor the richest or the prettiest. But it isn’t the hellhole everyone makes it out to be, either.

Since I’ve moved here, Binghamton has really improved. More restaurants, shops and other businesses have opened, especially in the Downtown area. There are some really nice places too; for example, Remlik’s, Lost Dog Café and Number 5. With First Fridays, Binghamton is trying to attract a more cultural feel with art, music and food on display Downtown to create a better community feeling. Binghamton is a city with a lot of potential, and some of the old buildings Downtown are beautiful. I’m not going to pretend Binghamton is New York City, but it’s certainly not some grubby ghetto.

I understand that Binghamton University and BU students fund a lot of the town, but that doesn’t give students the right to feel as though they are above local people from Binghamton. I haven’t spent my whole life growing up here, so I’m not saying this just because I’m a biased Vestalite. I genuinely think the attitude toward “townies” isn’t fair. No wonder there is such resentment from locals toward BU students.

In every town there are going to be people that are sketchy, weird and unpleasant. I just don’t think Binghamton is overridden with them. Most of the locals I know are kind, educated and helpful people. This goes along with the attitude people have toward students from Broome Community College. I have friends that go there, and many times they have experienced prejudiced behavior from BU students who think that they’re above them. Just because these kids are locals and at a community college does not make them less fun or intelligent than you. Maybe they couldn’t afford a four-year college, or maybe BCC is a second chance for them to become successful. Also, a good proportion of BCC students end up at BU their sophomore or junior year, anyway.

This past Halloween I saw someone whose costume consisted of a mullet wig, a cut-off plaid shirt and jeans. He was essentially dressed like a hillbilly; that’s the best way I could describe it. The guy walked past me and my friend and asked us about our costumes. We told him what we were and asked him who he was. He said, “I’m a Binghamton townie.” The costume seemed to me like it was making fun of people from Binghamton; it definitely felt like a negative portrayal. This further demonstrates the extremely negative attitude toward people from Binghamton in the eyes of BU students.

This attitude is problematic because it drives a wedge between the student population and the locals. Both groups can benefit from each other. The economic influx that BU students bring to the area is impossible to ignore. The University is a huge employer in the area, and students’ money goes toward restaurants, bars and recreation, helping to stimulate Binghamton economically too. The community can benefit the student body by providing jobs, internships and services. BU students become isolated from the community because of their attitude. It creates tension between two groups that should really be unified and appreciative of each other.

A lot of the negativity toward townies is petty and mean-spirited. I find it immature to have a sense of being above others. Many BU students perpetuate the stereotype of them being spoiled and self-entitled by behaving rudely toward locals. Binghamton can only improve more once students and locals both feel invested in its growth. Go to First Fridays and support local artwork, invest in local businesses or get involved with projects that involve working alongside the community. Open your mind to the crazy possibility that townies are people too. It’s not about defending Binghamton so much as asking for respect and kindness toward others. There is no need to have so much disgust for locals or to lump them in one big group. Being overly judgmental is never a good thing. You’re at BU already; either appreciate the town for what it is instead of looking down on everything, or transfer.