College has been a lot of things, mostly wonderful. It’s hard to put into words a summary of four years, including all of the good, the bad and the Binghamton. As seniors, we’ve put one foot in front of the other, doing whatever necessary to push through with the goal of a cap and gown in mind. At times, student life seemed impossible, but we’ve proved that wrong.

What will we remember most? Personally, my time at Binghamton was mostly with the crew team. Sure there were some books involved, but in the future when people ask me about my college experience, the first thing I will think of is rowing.

You can’t drag yourself out of bed before 5 a.m. for practice without some kind of incentive. This team was mine. We’re crazy, but we’re awesome. In short, despite the exhaustion, the frustrations, the insane time management necessary, the physical pain and recently the worst weather for this sport I’ve ever seen, the good outweighed the bad. During my rather mountainous college career — with a ton of highs and a number of lows — rowing on this team got me through.

I can’t part ways with this school without giving credit to other seniors on my team that took part in the experience with me and contributed to all of the great things I’ve witnessed along the way. I asked them all what college meant for them and they have graciously said as follows:

“College has been a four-year obstacle course but when reflecting back, it won’t be the meaningless details and hardships that matter. It will be the overall experience, memories of relationships, and ridiculous moments that you wouldn’t have had anywhere else.” — Vivien Levine

“College was a medium to get my life mistakes out of the way.” — Jason Rich

“It allowed me to go off on my own and finally grow up. It gave me the courage to decide my future and the opportunity to go after it.” — Samantha Hinds

“College gave me memories and experiences that I’ll take with me wherever I go. Most of my learning in college came from my endeavors, not from the Lecture Hall.” — Colin Aylesworth

“College was like a Lithium atom missing an electron — pretty positive! But seriously, it was an interesting experience with lots of ups and downs; I wouldn’t change anything about it!” — Arin Miller

“It started out as a means to an end, but later developed into a time of clarity, in who I am, what I want and where I want to be in life.” — Melissa Bruno

“College has been a time in my life where I’ve made amazing friends, made some enemies, grown up, messed up, been at my best and at sometimes at my worst, but all of it has made me a better person. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.” — Corrie Polikoff

“It has given me an excellent opportunity to reflect on the implications of my actions and to better understand my place and role in the world. I am happy to report that I have ‘found myself.’ The dining halls could have been a little better, too.” — Max Horowitz

“It’s about growth, maturing so we are ready — somewhat — to face the world.” — Adriana Zhao

“College was a chance to step out from under my family’s shadow and become confident in the person I am. It also allowed me to surround myself with friends who appreciate me.” — Patrick Schiefen

“I think I’m going to ask for an extension on college. I don’t think I’ll get away with it.” — Nicole Stadnicky

The last day that we’re all together will, at least for me, seem more sour than sweet, but I’m trying to accept moving on as a part of life. I have no significant regrets, and that, for me, is a sign of success.

From your rowers truly, to Dickinson Dining Hall and staff, we will miss you and the family meals you provide. And to coaches, we thank you (Coach Emerson, we love you!) and to the Susquehanna River, it’s been real.

“College was the glass half full, the paddle to my boat, the paint for my canvas. The thing about it all is, you’ll never forget it.” — Jacqueline Gurgui