Although I’m one of the most cynical people out there, my hard exterior melts upon the arrival of the holiday season. On the drive back up to Binghamton from Thanksgiving break, I flipped through my car’s shoddy radio as I cruised down the expressway to find Christmas tunes for the ride.

There’s something wonderful about scouting out all the decorated houses as I go from place to place over break. As for my house, I’m ecstatic to get home and put out my light-up Christmas moose (which I demanded my parents get in lieu of the standard reindeer) because I know my Grinch of a mom hasn’t put it out yet.

Nevertheless, it’s that time of year and, engaging in the giving and open-hearted spirits of the season, I’d like to admit something: I’m a conservative. No, no, no. Not a political, or even fiscal, conservative. You see, I’m a Holiday Conservative. I’m sure by this point you’re confused, so allow me to explain.

When I was a young boy, Thanksgiving was a momentous day. It would begin early in the morning when, after a bowl of cereal, I’d cuddle up on the couch with a blanket or two and my Game Boy Color so I could watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I’d find joy in seeing the parade evolve every year as newer characters more recognizable to me flew high above the streets alongside revered classics.

But there was one thing that never changed: Santa’s appearance at the end in his gigantic sleigh acting as a transition into the holiday season. Forced to then shower and get dressed, I then had to endure a long car-ride to some family member’s house so I could take my place at the kids’ table and enjoy copious amounts of food while gossiping with my cousins about what we wanted for Christmas.

Time goes on, though, and just like war, pop culture and the people we know, the holidays have changed. Instead of giving Santa the respect and patience he deserves, holiday hype has been coming earlier and earlier.

I was appalled this year when, the day after Halloween, Walmart replaced their plethora of costumes with toys in preparation for Christmas, and decorations flooded their outdoor section. Holiday-themed advertisements were in full force, trying to convince me to buy jewelry, new cars and face wash. It was like everyone had skipped over an entire month and Thanksgiving was forgotten. For many people, it was.

Thanksgiving was overshadowed by its neighboring younger “holidays” (if you can even call them that) like Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the new Small Business Saturday — so much so that those retail workers who actually got the chance to take part in a familial feast had it cut short by extended sale hours. I’m afraid that, if things continue to go on this way, Christmas in July will actually become Christmas in July.

It’s not hard to guess why this is happening. It can’t be the season of giving if people aren’t also buying, and Christmas sells. Why wouldn’t marketers do anything in their power to strengthen and lengthen the impulse in us to buy when the holidays come about?

Now, I’m sure a number of you can’t help but think that I’m a Scrooge trying to rain on a parade of cheer, but I assure you I’m nothing of the sort. I’m not saying we have to keep the Christ in Christmas (I know I sure don’t) or anything of that sort, but the road that we’re on is a dangerous one.

As educated consumers, don’t we want to try to avoid such mindless consumerism and, as lovers of the season, don’t we want it to keep its pride instead of becoming a fat cash-cow for corporations? That’s why, even though I’m the progressive I am, I’m starting the Holiday Conservative movement!

We’ll shun holiday commercials that air before their time. We’ll keep our decorations in the basement until Thanksgiving night. We’ll have the patience to keep our holiday music silent until “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” blasts during Santa’s first appearance. And we’ll take our damn time stuffing our faces full of turkey knowing full and well we can find all the sales we need sitting on our butts in front of a computer screen instead of camping out in the freezing cold.

So, though the time is ripe for caroling, falling snow and bright lights, keep these things in mind when next year rolls around and take the time to enjoy the current holiday season as you cram for finals.