To the Editor,

I will begin by thanking your editorial board for its article, “Don’t be MIA, SA,” in the Friday, Oct. 5 issue of Pipe Dream. The Student Association exists at a fundamental level to provide services, involvement opportunities and entertainment to our members; however, as it was skillfully pointed out, if students do not know what we are doing, all of our achievements are diminished.

I empathize with anyone who thinks the SA is distant from his or her campus experience. I will be the first person to admit that members of the SA Executive Board are often so wrapped up working on our projects and carrying out our commitments that we forget to actually communicate our accomplishments with our constituents. But let me be clear: there have been accomplishments.

Over the summer, Vice President for Finance Eric Larson and I moved the SA Incorporation project forward and are currently sorting out the details that will ensure the legal protection of every student leader on campus. Mr. Larson also completely overhauled our financial system, instituting new procedures and practices that will dramatically improve the efficiency of student group finances.

Vice President for Programming Brianna Friia spent months creating an unprecedented entertainment calendar for this semester, starting with Lewis Black on Oct. 27. Vice President for Multicultural Affairs Daniel Adeyanju has been working with the dozens of student groups within the SA to establish an event calendar that will highlight the amazing programs offered by our multicultural groups.

Executive Vice President Derek Gumb has spent the past weeks working with the nearly 50 groups that were chartered last semester, guiding them through the process. Meanwhile, Vice President for Academic Affairs Aaron Ricks, after struggling for weeks, has finally secured funding to resume The New York Times program, which restarted on Monday, Oct. 8, while Assembly Speaker Nick Fondacaro shepherded the community governments through the elections of hall governments and Assembly Representatives.

In my own office, I have founded the SA Student Group-Alumni Relations Committee, tasked with connecting student groups with their alumni. This committee will hopefully foster dialogue and networking between past and present student group members, strengthening the all-important bond between students and alumni.

Additionally, I have placed almost two dozen students on campus committees through the Faculty Senate and Auxiliary Services, established an amazing Freshman Class Council executive board and created a committee of community presidents to work on cross-community programming and cooperation. I recently opened applications for the Judicial Board, which can be picked up in the SA office.

If this letter is good for anything, I hope that it shows that your Student Association hears you, and that we will redouble our efforts to reach out to the student body. If you want to hear more about what we have done for you, we are more than happy to oblige (just don’t accuse us of immodesty).

Additionally, I want to empower everyone to take advantage of the avenues already available that are used to disseminate SA information. Check out our bi-weekly SA-Line emails, which contain job openings, involvement opportunities, concert and programming information and general news. Read your B-Line every day for SA updates, located at the bottom of the list. Follow us on Twitter (@SABinghamton) and Facebook for daily updates and opportunities.

Finally, you know how to get in contact with the Executive Board. You elected us, me specifically, to be your representation on campus. Come and talk to me about your concerns in the SA office in the New University Union past M&T Bank. My office hours are 12-3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 12-1 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Call or email me any time at (607) 777-6646 and president@binghamtonsa.org. Do whatever it takes to get your voice heard by us, and I’ll do whatever it takes to connect with you.

Mark Soriano

President, Student Association