After about a week of home-cooked meals, old friends and Jets games (alright, maybe I don’t get as tired of the Jets games) I’ve had enough. The countdown to school couldn’t go by any slower, and I was left with very few options to entertain myself.

As I racked my brain for things to do, some sort of tractor beam usually had me in front of a computer screen. When, if ever, Facebook stalking got old, I was forced to move on to different avenues for digital distraction.

Even though it’s been around for about a decade, I found that StumbleUpon does a really good job easing even the most severe boredom.

How it works: you start off by creating an account. After that, you can either choose a category that interests you or go directly into stumbling everything.

You’ll then be brought to a random page that will interest you or completely confuse you. But since “liking” has become such a popular thing, you can click “Like” or “Stumble” to save the page or go on to another. If you do like it, the site will bring you to another page that it thinks you’ll like too.

It kind of makes you wonder … what makes this website so sure that I’ll like one thing just because I “liked” something else? It could bring you to a page in the same category or posted by the same user, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to like this new page being chosen for you. Sometimes the two aren’t even remotely related.

But maybe that’s why it’s so entertaining. We don’t know what we’re going to get and that suspense is what excites us. We aren’t sure if we’re going to see a list of how to piss people off or learn how to make a kaleidoscope, but it’s a whole lot better than sitting at home doing nothing. Well, that’s kind of exactly what we’re doing, but you know what I mean.

Personally, I haven’t known about the site for that long, but I am definitely an advocate. Not only are some of the sites really funny, but a good number of them are actually interesting.

Some things I’ve stumbled upon: a list of common misconceptions, a guy who draws realistic chalk pictures on sidewalks all over the world and a crazy version of PacMan, and that’s only naming a few.

But as is always the case, too much of something is never a good thing. Not only does the website immediately offer the option of creating a bookmark on your homepage, there are phone applications for it, too.

It goes to show just how much technology has an impact on our lives; we don’t go out and find something to do when we’re bored, we just find another website.

Thankfully, we’re back in school with more time to have a life and less time to be bored. Hopefully this semester you won’t find yourself stumbling during lecture … figuratively or literally.