The time has come — graduation. Here I am trying to write my goodbye column, but what can I say that hasn’t already been said? Ummm…

Not much.

Four years ago I graduated from high school insanely excited for college, ready to move onto the next phase of my life. Now as I get ready to wear my green cap and gown and take pictures in front of the Binghamton University 2012 sign, I feel pretty much the same.

College has served its purpose well. I learned a few things in class, but I learned way more outside of it. I’ve made friends I know I’ll still be grabbing a drink with 10 years from now, and I know those I wasted way too much of my time on. I’ve enjoyed the $3 cab rides, the ability to go out on a Tuesday night just because I felt like it, the upstate gem that is Tully’s and, without a doubt, the free printing.

But am I upset to leave? Honestly, not really. Of course I’ll miss college and look back on my time in Binghamton fondly, but I’m ready to move on.

Yeah, we’re here to study and get good grades and get a diploma, but that’s not what the majority of us take away from college. We remember the memories, the people, the stupid shit we did at 2 a.m. because we were dumb kids and didn’t know any better.

And that’s how it should be. Four years in a place with basically no rules, total freedom and all necessities essentially handed to us on a silver platter; hell yeah we should take advantage of it.

So here’s my cliché moment. Don’t be afraid to take risks, but don’t be afraid to stick to your morals either. Try something new and do something you love. These four years are our time to truly examine who we are as people and what we will have to say for ourselves once the real world swallows us up.

But it’s also realizing that the freedom we’re given should be taken with a grain of salt because, sooner or later, we will have obligations. The independence we acquire by living on our own should make us open our eyes and realize the kind of people we are and the kind of people we want to be.

Leave the petty drama behind because it’s not worth it, but fight for it if it’s truly important. Act like a crazy kid but remember when it’s time to grow up. Realize, hopefully sooner rather than later, that respect goes a long way.

With about a week left to enjoy my time in Binghamton, I can honestly look back and say that it was time well spent. No, I’m not totally sure what I’m doing with my life, but I feel totally confident with the person that I am and the kind of impression I want to leave. Well, for now at least.

So, college, that’s a wrap.